Saturday Supper - 5-16-2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Another Saturday with a forgotten thread? Guess it's a good thing we all have more to do than play on our electronic devices. ;)

We have a refrigerator absolutely stuffed with leftovers. I made salads for us, then I had a bowl of the chickpea soup with some of the grilled chicken shredded into it. Himself rummaged the lonely piece of grocery store pizza, then had a small bowl of soup. I think we'll be eating leftovers for at least four more days. :wacko:

Anyone else eat today?

We had sloppy joes around 2:00. Guess we could call it dunch. Been snacking on leftovers since then.

Last edited:
It's not even dark yet out here in the "wild, wild west" so we just finished dinner. I was going to grill some chicken thighs but it's been a gloomy cool day so thought I'd try out my toaster oven for them. Dang, they really turned out well after marinating them in Goya lemon and Mexican spices, and then dusting them with my new Hawaiian seasoning of Hawaiian sea salt, chili and garlic. That little toaster oven did a really nice job on the four thighs and I'll be doing that again for sure. I did a nice version of a southwestern salad that SC loved, and garlic toast too.

img_1422143_0_f564df2e3c0a4d9c601765be28b9f1ce.jpg

Looks delish, powerplant and Kay! :yum:

I had a couple of TJ's breaded cod fillets with fresh squeezed lemon juice, roasted sweet potatoes, and asparagus. Instead of my usual cinnamon for the roasted sweet potato wedges, I sprinkled them with Penzeys Arizona Dreaming. Fantastic on sweet potatoes, that may be my new go to.

I remembered Joey's recipe for panko and parmesan roasted asparagus and how good it was, so I did the asparagus that way this evening. I was out of parm though, so used Romano. Very tasty...tender crisp asparagus with crunchy coating. Yum. :yum:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/panko-and-parm-asparagus-89935-3.html

It's not even dark yet out here in the "wild, wild west" so we just finished dinner. I was going to grill some chicken thighs but it's been a gloomy cool day so thought I'd try out my toaster oven for them. Dang, they really turned out well after marinating them in Goya lemon and Mexican spices, and then dusting them with my new Hawaiian seasoning of Hawaiian sea salt, chili and garlic. That little toaster oven did a really nice job on the four thighs and I'll be doing that again for sure. I did a nice version of a southwestern salad that SC loved, and garlic toast too.

img_1422152_0_f564df2e3c0a4d9c601765be28b9f1ce.jpg

Thats a beauty, love it.

For lunch I had leftover roast beef sammy.
img_1422153_0_efdf8db08130e961b09e5f179c23e72b.jpg

For dinner it was Pasties with roast beef, onion,carrots, potato's & turnip w/ gravy.

img_1422153_1_581c6d61c9eb1657b172233eae1df42f.jpg

img_1422155_0_f564df2e3c0a4d9c601765be28b9f1ce.jpg

Looks delish, powerplant and Kay! :yum:

I had a couple of TJ's breaded cod fillets with fresh squeezed lemon juice, roasted sweet potatoes, and asparagus. Instead of my usual cinnamon for the roasted sweet potato wedges, I sprinkled them with Penzeys Arizona Dreaming. Fantastic on sweet potatoes, that may be my new go to.

I remembered Joey's recipe for panko and parmesan roasted asparagus and how good it was, so I did the asparagus that way this evening. I was out of parm though, so used Romano. Very tasty...tender crisp asparagus with crunchy coating. Yum. :yum:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/panko-and-parm-asparagus-89935-3.html

Happy to hear that Cheryl. I made them the other day, but ran out of Panko, so I used fresh bread crumbs instead. It worked out fine. Just thought I would let you know.

I'm cooking up some beef stew. I'm not experienced enough to do it all from scratch so I use McCormicks Beef Stew mix. I make small batches and was a little surprised how much my ingredients list added up to.
Small white potatoes...$2.99 lb. Pearl onions in a small mesh bag...$2.79. I only used half a bag and wonder if I'll have to throw the other half away. Carrots were cheap as was the celery. The meat was already cut up for beef stew and was reasonably priced. I'm only using 1 lb. of beef for this batch as it makes 2 good servings. I know it would be more economical to make a bigger batch and freeze the rest, but I didn't quite like how it thaws up.

Do most beef stews use small white potatoes (yukon) or can I cut up a russet potato into large cubes? That would save me some money. Someone said russet potatoes don't make for a good beef stew. Not many places carry pearl onions in loose bulk, they come in mesh satchels. I suppose I could use the leftover pearl onions in green peas or something else, what, I don't know.

One thing I learned is that a little burgundy wine goes a long way, probably because it reduces. I only use a tiny splash of it now, after browning the stew meat and adding the water. If I use just a little too much, I end up with burgundy beef stew. Just a very small splash of burgundy wine really makes the beef taste classy, without making the stew taste like burgundy wine.

Last edited:
I'm cooking up some beef stew. I'm not experienced enough to do it all from scratch so I use McCormicks Beef Stew mix. I make small batches and was a little surprised how much my ingredients list added up to.
Small white potatoes...$2.99 lb. Pearl onions in a small mesh bag...$2.79. I only used half a bag and wonder if I'll have to throw the other half away. Carrots were cheap as was the celery. The meat was already cut up for beef stew and was reasonably priced. I'm only using 1 lb. of beef for this batch as it makes 2 good servings. I know it would be more economical to make a bigger batch and freeze the rest, but I didn't quite like how it thaws up.

Do most beef stews use small white potatoes (yukon) or can I cut up a russet potato into large cubes? That would save me some money. Someone said russet potatoes don't make for a good beef stew. Not many places carry pearl onions in loose bulk, they come in mesh satchels. I suppose I could use the leftover pearl onions in green peas or something else, what, I don't know.

One thing I learned is that a little burgundy wine goes a long way, probably because it reduces. I only use a tiny splash of it now, after browning the stew meat and adding the water. If I use just a little too much, I end up with burgundy beef stew. Just a very small splash of burgundy wine really makes the beef taste classy, without making the stew taste like burgundy wine.

Caslon, you certainly don't have to have $2.29lb. potatoes, or the pricy fresh pearl onions. Inexpensive russets will work just fine cut into cubes, just don't over cook them. Potatoes don't freeze well but the other stew ingredients freeze just fine, so fish out the potatoes before you freeze it. You can always boil up another potato to serve with the defrosted stew. If you like the look of pearl onions in the stew, buy a frozen bag of them (they are already peeled) and use the remainder another time without a worry about waste. Yes indeed, a little red wine works wonders!

Last edited:
Caslon, you can use those little pearl onions any way you want, just so long as you don't throw them out. Make another pot-of dinner: pork and onions, a simple adaptation of a coq au vin recipe, chopped and sauteed with eggs.

Russets will break down when you cook them in a stew, unless you add them near the end, for only as long as it takes for them to cook. They have a tendency to thicken the stew gravy, so that's a bonus. However, if you want a nice, intact potato, you can use red, Yukon, small white new potatoes. I've even used the infamous "all purpose" kind with acceptable results.

Thanks. I forgot about buying frozen pearl onions. I bet they prepare them a little before freezing or flash freeze them which is probably better than me just tossing mine in the freezer. I'll also look into what dishes I can use my bagged pearl onions in. Yes, I'd hate to have to toss them.

I did a quick, makeshift chicken "pie". Had to use up a can of condensed chicken soup (sell by date) so I bought some cooked chicken, parsley and (to my shame...but it was reduced) cheesey mash.

So I placed the mash, spread out, on an oiled dish to grill (crispy top) and combined the soup, chicken and parsley with some milk to form a thick sauce. Assembled it on the plate (with mash over the thick chicken sauce). Was very acceptable and quick.

Thanks. I forgot about buying frozen pearl onions. I bet they prepare them a little before freezing or flash freeze them which is probably better than me just tossing mine in the freezer. I'll also look into what dishes I can use my bagged pearl onions in. Yes, I'd hate to have to toss them.

They're just small onions. You can use them in any dish that calls for onions.

Last night was fresh.....really fresh lingcod fillets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom