Potato Ricer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome to DC! I have one from my grandma that has holes on the sides as well as the blade. I also have one similar to the one you found with the replaceable blades. I like that one for ease of cleaning, but I do put both through the dishwasher. I guess it depends on what you want to do. I go the one with the interchangeable blades for making spaetzle.

Generally I will only use it for fish pie or mustard mash. Sooner pay more and have reliability. It is harder to source equipment in NZ so I want to make sure when I buy it is good quality

I've had several ricers including one with holes on the sides as well as the bottom. I hated the holes on the sides as they made a mess. I currently have an Oxo ricer and find it excellent. It's quite sturdy. I'm a big guy and can apply a lot of pressure. I have never been concerned about it's breaking.

Good to know Oxo will be top of my list unless anyone else has a better suggestion.

Good to know Oxo will be top of my list unless anyone else has a better suggestion.

Oxo has a reputation of being very reliable and they make products that are comfortable to use. The founder of Oxo watched his grandmother struggling to use a kitchen utensil with her arthritic hands. It was then he decided to develop and make utensils that would be comfortable for all grandmothers to use. The name come from the xoxo of hugs and kisses for his grandmother.

If my memory serves me right, The following was approved as the favorite on America's Test Kitchen here in the States. It is a television show that tests equipment for the kitchen.

http://www.amazon.com/Potato-Ricer-...UTF8&qid=1433473196&sr=1-4&keywords=oxo+ricer

What I like about it is that it can fit it on any size pan. Most ricers don't have that feature. You have to hold them over the pot. By the time you are through ricing all the potatoes, you have two very tired hands. Good Luck. And welcome to DC. We enjoy having new members join us. After all this forum is an international one. We have members from all over the globe. :angel:

I've gone through several trying to find one I'm happy with. Side holes. Removable plates. Cushioned handles.

Finally found this one, and it's great. It's larger than most, opens wider, and the angle of the plunger makes it easy to squeeze. The large hopper holds more, so it makes short work of the job.

I prefer a food mill, because its more versatile. I'd rather have less gadgets that do more than drawers full of single things.

I have the Catering Line Food Mill. I love it. It's got three different plates with different size holes, depending on the texture you're going for.

http://www.amazon.ca/Catering-Line-Stainless-Steel-Food/dp/B00BTIG2W2

I have had three food mills...I much rather use a potato ricer or a tomato strainer.

A decent sized food mill is better.

OK, both will do the job. We get it. Food mills are much more versatile than a ricer so can do much more than rice potatoes. But if all you want to do is rice potatoes, a ricer is all you need.

I have a food mill. I seldom use it. I don't think you can make spaetzle with it. That would be an advantage to the ricer.

And then there is the storage problem. A food mill is an awkward piece of equipment to store. Nothing can sit in it, and it can't sit in any other equipment. By it very nature, it is meant to sit on top with a handle that sticks out. Whereas a ricer can lay on its side in a corner of the cabinet. And unless it is made with delicate material, you can even place other equipment on top of it.

I used my food mill (that I just had to have) once and then got rid of it. Whereas I still have my ricer and use it frequently.

When I scoop out the potato for twice baked, I put the flesh through the ricer. It makes the fluffiest potatoes even with additions of chives, cheese, sour cream, etc. Your choice. And you find that you use less milk. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom