Gourmet menu for the boys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fluxdon

Assistant Cook
I am co-hosting an event for 14 guys where I will be responsible for dinner.
Being active during the entire event is important so I am trying to make as much as possible in advance.

Snacks instead of a starter:
Candy bacon, with cayenne and lots of black pepper.
Manchego cheese
Deep fried fresh pasta with pesto of baked pesto
Homemade chips
Drinks: Fruity crisp white wine, perhaps Viognier from South Africa
Asahi beer

Main course:
48 hour sous vide brisket with thick vinegar glace
Terres major medallion with baked garlic aioli and tarragon
Pommes puree with nutmeg and crispy parmesan chips
Glazed carrots with fresh thyme.
Wine: Full body red wine, perhaps Primitivo from Italy

Dessert:
Salty sundae
Vannila ice cream
Glazed pecans and almonds
Salty caramel sauce
Chocolate sauce
Wine: Sherry from Spain

Snacks can all be made in advance, but please give suggestions for more.

I can´t really figure out if I am missing anything but perhaps some acidity in the main course would be good and something more crispy?

I would be thrilled to get inputs of any kind - what are your thoughts? :)

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

Regarding the snacks, crostini spread with goat cheese and topped with marinated red and yellow bell peppers sprinkled with fresh thyme would be nice. Or Greek salad skewers - chunks of tomato, cucumber and feta on toothpicks, drizzled with a red-wine vinaigrette.

I'm not familiar with vinegar glące, but it sounds like it would be acidic.

Sounds like a great party. Have fun!

Last edited:
Hey GG

That sound as a good idea and would go into consideration :)

The vinegar glace definitely has acidity so I might just leave it at that.
Thank you for the reply!

Welcome to DC!
If you are in Denmark, why no seafood on the menu?

The tab keeps crashing. I have a lot of comments. Welcome to DC!

Maybe if I do this in multiples I will get it posted.

I am not seeing continuity re flavor profile. There's sweet-hot-salty in the bacon, garlic with the sweetness of Basil, the richness of the cheese but nothing to highlight it. Not sure if the chips are potato or what and what does one do with those? Then there's the acidity re the brisket and the slightly licorice note from the tarragon. I don't know that Thyme alone will add much to the carrots.

Next post: things to help tie things together.

I will see if I can do this without it crashing

Starters:
-use a double-smoked pepper bacon or s/thing similar. Use chipolte instead of cayenne.

Cheese. Take thinly sliced rounds of dark rye bread. Make a toasted ground honey almond butter. Put that on the bread. Then the cheese. Top with a grilled apricot half (you could brush with oil and a sprinkle of chipolte). Let it cool slightly and it goes on top of the cheese. Finish with some of the crushed toasted almonds. Serve with a Spanish red.

Make a roasted red pepper pesto for the pasta. You could roast a red Jalapeño and use a smoked cheese, roasted garlic.

Where was I? Oh mains. How about incorporating some of the smokiness by including the same smoked cheese with the parm. Crisp? Make a gremolata out of the carrot tops? Use the parm crisp instead of bread crumbs. Not sure about the tarragon....

Carry the heat to the chocolate sauce and include almonds as part of the nuts. End with nuts then chocolate and use a smoked finishing touch I am sure others will chime in. Keep us posted as the menu gets tweaked.

I would use the gremolata on the carrots. Instead of pepper pesto you could do a Rome so sauce Hate auto correct. R-o-m-e-s-c-o and char the peppers...

Thank you so much for all the replys, I have high hopes for this forum as I lack any type of these "higher level amaterur" formums in denmark.

Were my doubts are is concistency thoughout the menu or courses. Not sure if it ties all together as you are hihglighting.

Af for starters i have made a roasted red pepper "salsa" before with balsamico, lemon and olive oil, beautiful. This is into consideration again.

Main course is definitely were my doubts are.
Brisket is not very dinner like, it just has a wow factor for flavor and tenderness. The reason for using terres major was to have something with a total different texture and profile.
Terragon Aioli with baked roasted garlic.....perhaps is not such a good fit. I chose that to have a little "sauce" for the medallion, but the pommes puree is VERY rich so perhaps some acidity would be better here - roasted red pepper salsa works very well with meat.
Gremolata is a strong flavor, so I might be a bit too overpowering for the carrots.

The gramolata would just be the carrot tops with some off the crisps toasted. A bit of lemon juice e and EVOO, sea salt and pepper. Nothing too heavy just to taste. You could add some chopped basil to sweeten it up. It would garnish the carrots. I hate typical g on my Smartphone.

Thank you so much for all the replys, I have high hopes for this forum as I lack any type of these "higher level amaterur" formums in denmark.

Were my doubts are is concistency thoughout the menu or courses. Not sure if it ties all together as you are hihglighting.

Af for starters i have made a roasted red pepper "salsa" before with balsamico, lemon and olive oil, beautiful. This is into consideration again.

Main course is definitely were my doubts are.
Brisket is not very dinner like, it just has a wow factor for flavor and tenderness. The reason for using terres major was to have something with a total different texture and profile.
Terragon Aioli with baked roasted garlic.....perhaps is not such a good fit. I chose that to have a little "sauce" for the medallion, but the pommes puree is VERY rich so perhaps some acidity would be better here - roasted red pepper salsa works very well with meat.
Gremolata is a strong flavor, so I might be a bit too overpowering for the carrots.
Are you sure you mean "brisket". Brisket is not very tender at all and is often used for supper. The Danish word for brisket is oksebryst, spidsbryst, or oksespidsbryst.

Are you sure you mean "brisket". Brisket is not very tender at all and is often used for supper. The Danish word for brisket is oksebryst, spidsbryst, or oksespidsbryst.

Yes I am sure. I have cooked it before and it is fantastic.
130 degrees Fahrenheit one 48 hours in the sous vide :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom