Insalata caprese calda (warm caprese salad)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Kenny

Senior Cook
Did I get the translation correct?

Saying goodbye to the last of the tomato harvest. The plants were just eaten up with the soil borne fungus again but we got hundreds of pounds out of our co-op garden this year, cleared them out to make room for fall/winter crops like beets, etc.

This was the last really big perfect tomato. I cut two fat slices earlier in the day to make my last homegrown tomato sandwich and saved this nice slice for this caprese.

A drizzle and rub with some top shelf olive oil, fresh ground salt and pepper on both sides of thick slices of good mozzarella ball and generously salt and peppered the room temp fat slice of tomato.

Preheated the toaster oven and a stoneware pan on nuclear, then the mozz goes in just long enough to prep the plate, grab a glass of wine and be ready. Laying the molten mozz on the tomato of course heats the tomato bringing out it’s flavors to the max.

A generous drizzle (because that's how I like it) of “good” olive oil (like Ina Garten always says) and a chiffonade of fresh back yard garden basil just minutes off the plant.

Missing in this pic is the judicious drizzle of balsamic reduction.

I forgot to heat the plate so halfway through the mozz was setting up and getting a bit chewy from the whey loss in the oven, but still a proper goodbye to the season's wonderful fresh tomatoes.

I will miss them, but not all the processing for canning, gazpacho, and soup!

(Since this is recipe or dish related I posted this here. Mods feel free to move this to a more appropriate forum if I got it wrong)

Attachments

• warm caprese salad.jpg
    warm caprese salad.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom