Annoyances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FoodieFanatic

Senior Cook
We all have them, little daily things that annoy us.

Be it the inconsiderate driving who doesn't use turn signals to the person in the express checkout with a full cart and you are behind them with one item.
Or, you purchase a package of pork chops and the two on top look great. You get home, open the package only to find the one tucked underneath isn't even a full chop!

What annoys you?

I have been the person with the full cart, that has been flagged over by the cashier in the express lane, since she had no customers. I didn't enjoy the nasty looks from proper express lane customers. The next time it happened, I refused. The store was Publix and I'm sure she was told by management to do so if she had no customers. Extreme couponers , no matter what lane, used to really ##@@** me off. Now they don't allow them.:LOL:

I have been the person with the full cart, that has been flagged over by the cashier in the express lane, since she had no customers. I didn't enjoy the nasty looks from proper express lane customers. The next time it happened, I refused. The store was Publix and I'm sure she was told by management to do so if she had no customers. Extreme couponers , no matter what lane, used to really ##@@** me off. Now they don't allow them.:LOL:

Me Too. Shopping can be exhausting for me. I saw an empty lane, unloaded my cart and looked up to see "Express Lane - 15 items or less." I couldn't apologize enough to the cashier. At my Market Basket, they have almost 40 lanes with express lanes at both ends.

My annoyance? I use the electric carts. The bank of them are located right in the middle of the store between the entrance doors. By the time I reach them, my leg is in so much pain, that I am lucky to be able to even get to them. And there has even been a couple of times when I have had mild chest pains because it is so difficult for me to get to them. After having sent a letter to headquarters about the location, there are always a couple plugged in at the entrance now. No more walking forever to get to the bank of them.

The whole purpose of the carts is for people who have walking problems. :angel:

First we had a Venting thread. Then we added a Petty Vents thread. Now we have an Annoyances thread. What, exactly, is the difference between an annoyance and a petty vent. where do you draw the line that separates one from the other and is it really that important?

Thanks for letting me vent. Oops, I mean annoy.

Mods, if this is in the wrong thread, please move it.

Last edited:
Hi, Andy!

I will explain why I stated this thread on "Annoyances". I posted a petty vent and was told it wasn't a vent. I didn't know there were rules about what and what not is a vent. I don't have complaints, just everyday things that are, well, annoying.

I see two threads on Venting. Both say they are for Petty Vents, and the vents by many are heartfelt concerns. Mine are not like that, just annoying everyday stuff.

I see many of you have been a long time and have a wonderful relationship, I like that, you seem to be family.

Just giving people a place to voice things that bug them, that's all.

Enjoy the evening.....FF

I appreciate your perspective.

The vents on the other threads are not annoyances but real problems. Mine was just an annoying thing that advertisers overlook seniors. It wasn't earth shattering, but it was something I observed.

I started this to take the smaller things and separate them from the problems and just let people get annoying, minor, daily stuff off their chests.

Thanks for your input. FF

I appreciate your perspective.

The vents on the other threads are not annoyances but real problems. Mine was just an annoying thing that advertisers overlook seniors. It wasn't earth shattering, but it was something I observed.

I started this to take the smaller things and separate them from the problems and just let people get annoying, minor, daily stuff off their chests.

Thanks for your input. FF

We'll have to disagree. I still see petty vents as annoyances and vice versa.

If the moderators are OK with another venting thread, who am I to complain?

FF, I see annoyances and petty vents as synonymous.
Same here, Andy. Guess us DC old timers are happy with the old jargon.

FWIW, I think there is just too danged much in life anymore that annoys people. For crying out loud, if you wake up on this side of the dirt, it's already started out being a good day. Instead of letting everything everywhere annoy, how about taking a deep breath and looking at the good around you?

Just my
smiley_coins.gif

We are all sympatico then. Petty Vents deal with annoyances. No need to make and reply to an Annoyances thread. I'm minor petty venting. :LOL:

Last edited:
Wait a minute, I posted my vent to "Venting" which is noted in the Alix opening thread as Petty Vents. I was criticized that it was petty. I don't have vents that are depressing, sorry. Mine are pretty much observations.

It's becoming apparent that I am not welcome here. I can't express my thoughts without being bullied? I thought this was an open and welcoming site. This is very disappointing.

Last edited:
Wait a minute, I posted my vent to "Venting" which is noted in the Alix opening thread as Petty Vents. I was criticized that it was petty. I don't have vents that are depressing, sorry. Mine are pretty much observations.

It's becoming apparent that I am not welcome here. I can't express my thoughts without being bullied? I thought this was an open and welcoming site. This is very disappointing.

I'm sorry you feel that you've been criticized or bullied. I think the intention was more along the lines of providing insight into the culture here. As I mentioned, Alix started the Petty Vents thread because over time, the Venting thread had become about more serious things.

I in particular felt that small complaints were inappropriate in the Venting thread because a couple weeks ago, I vented about the murders of two TV journalists in Roanoke, Virginia. Seeing petty complaints there after that felt like people were trivializing what had happened, although I know that wasn't the intention.

We also have a thread on Stray Thoughts if you want to post observations there ;)

You are welcome here. But we get to express our opinions.

You posted a petty vent in the venting thread and it was suggested that your petty vent belonged in the PV thread. That's all. Starting another PV thread isn't necessarily the best solution.

The fact that some of us think the annoyances thread is a duplication of the PV thread is not an indication that you're not welcome here.

As you can see, you are not being bullied, but have started a conversation. And that is something we love to do here. So thank you for do that.

This week we have had temperatures in the 90's. Now that could have gone into the weather thread, or even the PV thread. But if I had posted that info in the PV thread, I am sure that those who are living in Cal. where they get temps in the 100's, I would have started a conversation regarding where I should have posted it. That for those folks, temps in the 90's was nothing compared to what they are experiencing.

So you can see, a conversation was started. And that is a good thing. Unfortunately facial expression cannot be seen in print. Voice intonation cannot be heard. So my suggestion would be....

Develop a thick skin and sit back and enjoy the show. And I say this with the warmest intentions. Come back next week and read this thread. We will have moved on and gone on to other subjects. Don't leave, just enjoy this site. We really do love having new members.

Oh yes. Find the Today's Funny thread and read back for about one year's worth of posts. It will make your day. :angel:

:flowers::flowers:Foodie you are welcome here. I don't want you to leave.
People that you feel are bulling will be the first to help
you if you need help. Just shrug it of and have fun.

Josie

My initial comment was in reaction to yet another place to complain. Complaining is contagious and I'm already infected enough! :LOL:

Yes, Alix (where ARE you, girl?) started the "Venting" thread with the intention of it being our complaint department for petty stuff. In January, 2010. By September of 2012 she realized it had become a thread devoted to more serious issues, and so she started the "Petty Vents" thread for the lighter vents/complaint/annoyances/gripes.

Like a lot of long-running TV shows, sometimes threads get so off-track that they jump the shark. Maybe it's time we start new "Venting" and "Petty Vents" threads each year. That's what was done to the "What are you baking today?" thread this year and it's made it a smaller thread, easier to skim through. Then again, some of us have been venting about the same thing for ages! :LOL:

Finally, no one has singled you out for bullying. We've ALL been on the receiving end of typed beat-downs. It's hardly worth the climb in blood pressure to get your knickers in a twist over something someone online said. Just imagine the poster not really being as they portray themselves, but instead as a 30-something guy living in his Mom's basement, sitting in his shorts and t-shirt, and drinking some cheap vile beer. From cans, no less!

I'm sorry you feel that you've been criticized or bullied. I think the intention was more along the lines of providing insight into the culture here. As I mentioned, Alix started the Petty Vents thread because over time, the Venting thread had become about more serious things.

I in particular felt that small complaints were inappropriate in the Venting thread because a couple weeks ago, I vented about the murders of two TV journalists in Roanoke, Virginia. Seeing petty complaints there after that felt like people were trivializing what had happened, although I know that wasn't the intention.

We also have a thread on Stray Thoughts if you want to post observations there ;)

Thanks! The stories about the horrible killings wasn't overlooked. Read it and to me this was a news story, which was terrible. I see this as an informative news story not a vent JMO.

I find it interesting all the comments on my thread are vents by others.

I'll just keep my opinions to myself.
I'm a good person, I don't have to chill out, get a tougher skin...about what? If people knew me, which isn't easy to portray here, I'm very happy, wake up happy, problems are none.

I appreciate your comments.

Thanks! The stories about the horrible killings wasn't overlooked. Read it and to me this was a news story, which was terrible. I see this as an informative news story not a vent JMO.

I find it interesting all the comments on my thread are vents by others.

I'll just keep my opinions to myself.
I'm a good person, I don't have to chill out, get a tougher skin...about what? If people knew me, which isn't easy to portray here, I'm very happy, wake up happy, problems are none.

I appreciate your comments.

True, but for me, it hit close to home. I have a cousin who lives in Roanoke; it's about five hours drive from me, and for several hours, the police were looking for the perpetrator - he could have been headed in my direction, for all I knew. So it was more personal for me.

Everyone's opinions are valid and we know you're a good person. You've shown that already in the time you've been here. So I hope you'll stick around and contribute in any way you like :)

so, now we've all learned how petty is petty, no?

can we give up the snide insults and such? wherefore art it such a insensible thing for a person to create another thread? get flippin' real.

sorry - but stuff it. when a quite reasonable person is posting "I'm not welcome here" some of youse petty posters need to re-examine what you're doing - and the management needs to re-examine your participation.

Back
Top Bottom