Tartar sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
This is a james martin recipe

Tarter Sauce

3 free-range egg yolks
3 tsp Dijon mustard
4 tsp white wine vinegar
500ml vegetable oil
3 free-range eggs, hard boiled and grated
4 banana shallots, finely chopped
75g gherkins, chopped
100g capers, drained
50g flat leaf parsley

I didn't want to use any eggs as I wanted to keep this for several weeks
I found the mixture as liquid not a paste but it does call up for 500ml vegetable oil. I weighed it on the digital scales instead of measuring in a jug.

Any help? 500ml veg oil is a lot to have in this recipie

The first three ingredients are what you use to make mayonnaise

You cant leave out the eggs

Then the recipe calls for other things to be added to the mayo to create tarter sauce

You can't weigh out milliliters

Since we started making roasted garlic tartar sauce, no other recipe will do!:yum: Of course, for shrimp, soft shell crab or fried oyster Po Boys, nothing can compete with a nice NOLA remoulade.:yum:

Welcome to DC, otuatail!

This may not be what you're looking for - when I make tartar sauce I make it very simple:

1/2 C mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon (or more to taste) sweet pickle relish
1 Tablespoon finely minced onion, more or less to taste
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
chopped parsley - a Tablespoon or so
(Better after it sits for a while in the fridge so the flavors can blend)

I live alone and don't use it much - you could easily double it. I haven't bought bottled tartar sauce in many years.

There are some great sounding ideas here:
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f83/i-need-a-good-tartar-sauce-20588.html

Last edited:
500 milliliters is just a little over 2 cups of liquid or 16.9 oz or half a liter.
And it does sound right in proportion to the other ingredients.
Agreeing with the others you have to keep the eggs.
According to a quick search, it will keep up to 6 months in the refrigerator.

Welcome to DC, otuatail!

This may not be what you're looking for - when I make tartar sauce I make it very simple:

1/2 C mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon (or more to taste) sweet pickle relish
1 Tablespoon finely minced onion, more or less to taste
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
chopped parsley - a Tablespoon or so
(Better after it sits for a while in the fridge so the flavors can blend)

I live alone and don't use it much - you could easily double it. I haven't bought bottled tartar sauce in many years.

There are some great sounding ideas here:
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f83/i-need-a-good-tartar-sauce-20588.html

I mix up a couple of tablespoons as needed and use a recipe/process similar to the one that Cheryl posted. It is a little different each time I make it. If I have capers I chop a few and toss them in, if not I chop a few stuffed Spanish olives. Sometimes I use sweet relish, sometimes dill pickle relish or a chopped pickle or two.

Good luck!

BTW, what does anyone put tartar sauce on nowadays?

Same things as always, usually fried fish and fried shrimp. I've never cared for red cocktail sauce on anything that's fried, much prefer tartar sauce. I'll eat fried shrimp without anything rather than use red sauce on them, even though I love chilled boiled shrimp with a spicy cocktail sauce.

Also not a big fan of the dill tartar sauce that many restaurants (Red Robin for one) are fond of serving with fish 'n chips.

Same things as always, usually fried fish and fried shrimp. I've never cared for red cocktail sauce on anything that's fried, much prefer tartar sauce. I'll eat fried shrimp without anything rather than use red sauce on them, even though I love chilled boiled shrimp with a spicy cocktail sauce.

Also not a big fan of the dill tartar sauce that many restaurants (Red Robin for one) are fond of serving with fish 'n chips.

Ditto here. The more simple, the better. Relish and mayo. It is when they doctor it up and think they are improving it, that it loses its appeal. It then overpowers the flavor of the sea. Don't forget fried clams. For lobster, melted butter. :angel:

Since we started making roasted garlic tartar sauce, no other recipe will do!:yum: Of course, for shrimp, soft shell crab or fried oyster Po Boys, nothing can compete with a nice NOLA remoulade.:yum:

Craig. I would love each recipe.

Ditto here. The more simple, the better. Relish and mayo. It is when they doctor it up and think they are improving it, that it loses its appeal. It then overpowers the flavor of the sea. Don't forget fried clams. For lobster, melted butter. :angel:

Then why use anything? You could use malt vinegar which I love on fried fish.
I find the more you add the better it gets.

Finely chopped onion.
Parsley.
Old Bay.
Hot sauce.
Lemon or lime juice.
Salt and pepper.
Mustard.
Relish.
Chopped pickles.
ect...................... You name it.

Many things would work well. I use what I have on hand and in many instances I don't make it because I don't have enough ingredients to make a decent tartar sauce.

BTW, what does anyone put tartar sauce on nowadays?

For me, just fish 'n chips. I like the fries dipped in tartar sauce too, because I don't like catsup. I don't have that meal very often so it's a real treat when I do. :yum:

Craig. I would love each recipe.

Finely chopped onion.
Parsley.
Old Bay.
Hot sauce.
Lemon or lime juice.
Salt and pepper.
Mustard.
Relish.
Chopped pickles.

Many things would work well. I use what I have on hand and in many instances I don't make it because I don't have enough ingredients to make a decent tartar sauce.

Never have figured out what people like about malt vinegar. Tried it once, and to me, it's just vinegar, and like any vinegar when used by itself, it becomes the dominant flavor in the dish. It requires other strong flavors to balance it, and fried fish simply doesn't need that sort of treatment.

I don't know what kind of fish is used for fish and chips in the UK, but over here it's usually cod or some similar mild tasting fish, and for me it's the fish that's supposed to be the star of the show, not the condiment. I like tartar sauce with it, but in moderation, and no vinegar. When I order it in a restaurant, if I don't like the sauce that it's served with, I eat it with just a little salt, nothing else.

Never have figured out what people like about malt vinegar. Tried it once, and to me, it's just vinegar, and like any vinegar when used by itself, it becomes the dominant flavor in the dish. It requires other strong flavors to balance it, and fried fish simply doesn't need that sort of treatment.

I don't know what kind of fish is used for fish and chips in the UK, but over here it's usually cod or some similar mild tasting fish, and for me it's the fish that's supposed to be the star of the show, not the condiment. I like tartar sauce with it, but in moderation, and no vinegar. When I order it in a restaurant, if I don't like the sauce that it's served with, I eat it with just a little salt, nothing else.

I agree, and I'm a vinegar fiend! DH likes malt vinegar with his fish 'n chips, though. In the UK, they also use primarily cod or haddock for this dish. We enjoyed it several times during our week in Ireland in 2003 :)

There used to be an Irish restaurant nearby that served Marie Rose sauce with their fish 'n chips - that was delicious :yum:

Finely chopped onion.
Parsley.
Old Bay.
Hot sauce.
Lemon or lime juice.
Salt and pepper.
Mustard.
Relish.
Chopped pickles.

I guess you don't really want to taste the fish...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom