Should I let my fresh pasta dry before cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnrambo459

Assistant Cook
I've been rolling out fresh pasta and it is awesome!

One day I let it dry a little because I wasn't quite ready to cook it, it seemed textured a little differently this way, I kinda liked it.

Should I try letting it dry out a little more next time? Or would it defeat the purpose of rolling it out fresh? No eggs are used in the recipe, just flour & water.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have been told that it defeats the purpose of making fresh pasta, if you dry it, but I don't find that to be true. What I have found is that if I let it dry a little bit, it's easier to cut into noodles. Also, less dry pasta seems to cook quicker.

Here it is custom and practice - which doesn't necessarily mean that it's written in stone - that when you make fresh tagliatelle it's for use the same day, or if you're making batches, you freeze it. There's no rule that says you don't let it dry out for storage - only make sure that it's totally dry. Test for brittleness before you store it.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Looks like a lot of good advice so far. When I make fresh pasta I let it rest on open racks for a half hour to 45 minutes, but that's just what I like. There are no rules experiment and find what you like. :)

I don't recommend drying it for storage. I tried that once and my pasta got curly as it dried. It made it take far too much space. I actually started a discussion about here: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/pasta-drying-problem-69159.html#post950791

I was interested in your topic, and sent a reply. In fact, you can freeze or dry the pasta if you're not going to use it immediately, but if you are, let it dry out a little before you use it like you did. Advice from my chef friend Lorenzo,

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

The reason there are drying racks for pasta.
Yes, I always hang ribbon style pasta on the drying rack for about half hour before cooking.
Otherwise I find it disintergrates far easier in the boiling water.

Back
Top Bottom