Canned Oysters for shooters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GA Home Cook

Sous Chef
I am wanting to make some oyster shooters for new years eve party. Has anyone ever used canned oysters? Also may make some Rockerfellers.

Canned Oysters

Hmm. Canned oysters, to me, aren't the shooter type. Salt and Pepper hopefully will weigh in, he gets a lot of great fresh seafood even in Montana, and has posted some lovely oyster shooter pics.

Last edited:
Living on the Atlantic coast here, I'd agree, Dawg. When the seafood is the main component of the dish, fresh is always better (except for tuna salad. Fresh tuna is wonderful in it, but too expensive for a common lunch item, for us).

Canned Oysters have been cooked by the canning process.

I don't think they'd be very good in a shooter.

You really want raw oysters along with the oyster liquor. :yum:

They might work in the Rockefeller if you were to cook the topping first and then put it on the canned oysters and then only heated it up.

Oysters are sorta like shrimp. You don't want to overcook them or you'll be chowing down on rubber. :chef:

Go with raw oysters if you can.

But I might be an oyster snob living on the Chesapeake Bay where I can get them off the boats. ;)

On a side note:
In my youth I went oystering with a friend of mine who was a professional waterman.
It was January and after a day of "hard" work I've never been colder in my life.
I learned that day that this wasn't how I wanted to earn a living. ;)
Since that day I've never complained about the price of oysters.

I don't buy canned oysters, most are from Asia & I just don't trust them. I buy Pacific oysters by the pint @ walmart , small size. Also canned oysters are not raw but steamed.

Last edited:
Drat. S&P popped my daydream. Here I thought he had a secret tributary that went direct from Montana to the Pacific.:rolleyes: And all this time all he has to do is row a boat to Walmart's parking lot. Well, his seafood dishes always look like good eating and pictures.

I like oysters Rockefeller and canned smoked oysters speared with a toothpick. Haven't had the latter in eons, so couldn't say where they originate.

I think there's some confusion here.
Canned oysters are always cooked never raw.
Raw oysters are only sold in the shell in mesh bags or already shucked in plastic tubs.

I think there's some confusion here.
Canned oysters are always cooked never raw.
Raw oysters are only sold in the shell in mesh bags or already shucked in plastic tubs.

That is funny, I can by fresh oysters by the case.:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Drat. S&P popped my daydream. Here I thought he had a secret tributary that went direct from Montana to the Pacific.:rolleyes: And all this time all he has to do is row a boat to Walmart's parking lot. Well, his seafood dishes always look like good eating and pictures.

I like oysters Rockefeller and canned smoked oysters speared with a toothpick. Haven't had the latter in eons, so couldn't say where they originate.

He's on the wrong side of the mountains for a direct line to the Pacific...all his rivers run east and south. My old rivers ran west and north (before I moved away.) Took me a bit of orientation to get directions correct by watching the river run.:LOL:

That is funny, I can by fresh oysters by the case.:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
We only get fresh local oysters here on Vancouver Island. Mainly from Fanny Bay and from Salt Spring Island but some come from the Powell River area.
They are sold in large restaurant quantities in hemp gunny sacks.
In the local stores you can buy them in small plastic mesh bags or already shucked in small plastic tubs.

Even though I "row" to walmart, they are fresh shucked Pacific oysters. And the perfect size for shooters.

We only get fresh local oysters here on Vancouver Island. Mainly from Fanny Bay and from Salt Spring Island but some come from the Powell River area.
They are sold in large restaurant quantities in hemp gunny sacks.
In the local stores you can buy them in small plastic mesh bags or already shucked in small plastic tubs.

Good for you! We are not all from your location. Blue points are the most readily available in our region. They can be bought as you describe, or by the case. Just because they are sold a certain way in your locale, doesn't mean that is the only way they can be bought.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
The refrigerated, shucked oysters work for shooters when you don't have access to others. They're generally in the grocery store near the smoked salmon, and packaged lump crabmeat. They're great for po'boys, chowder and in seafood minestrone as well.

fresh_jars.jpg

Last edited:
Good for you! We are not all from your location. Blue points are the most readily available in our region. They can be bought as you describe, or by the case. Just because they are sold a certain way in your locale, doesn't mean that is the only way they can be bought.:rolleyes:
I never said they couldn't be bought other ways. I simply noted how they are sold around here pal.:wacko:

You're right. I should have included "around here" in my post.
Are there raw shucked oysters available in cans. Cans as in Campbell soup?

As Zagut pointed out, the canning process cooks the oysters. Raw uncanned oysters in a can would be a food poisoning disaster!

You're right. I should have included "around here" in my post.
Are there raw shucked oysters available in cans. Cans as in Campbell soup?

Not that I know of. I think that would create a huge risk of food poisoning. Canned foods are heated to 160°F after sealing to kill any pathogens inside, which also cooks the contents.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom