What's for dinner? Thursday, 12-17-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
Beautiful sunny day here today. I just fired up the Weber and will be grilling a rib eye. Baked potato with sour cream and chives, and steamed broccoli and carrots for sides.

What's on your plate today? :chef:

We get United Way take and bake fundraiser Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes, and some kind of dessert. Can't wait!

I thawed ratatouille from last summer's garden veggies the other day, but we went in a different direction that night, so we're having that, mixed with leftover rice. I also have some leftover kielbasa from last night, so I'll brown it in my cast-iron skillet and serve with more of my homemade mustard.

I'm baking Catalina/Cranberry/ Ginger sauced chicken breast along with a baked sweet potato and steamed broccoli. I also made a pan of Malt-O-Meal muffins today to which I added a few spoons of cranberry sauce in the batter.

Beautiful sunny day here today. I just fired up the Weber and will be grilling a rib eye. Baked potato with sour cream and chives, and steamed broccoli and carrots for sides.

What's on your plate today? :chef:
I'm stuffed, couldn't finish it all. :LOL: There's enough rib eye left for a mid day steak sandwich tomorrow. The fresh chives weren't good anymore, fortunately I had green onions for the baked potato topping. Can't have baked potatoes topped with sour cream without the greenage. :)

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 171
I'm baking Catalina/Cranberry/ Ginger sauced chicken breast along with a baked sweet potato and steamed broccoli. I also made a pan of Malt-O-Meal muffins today to which I added a few spoons of cranberry sauce in the batter.

This sounds delicious, Whisk! I love cranberries. Do you have a recipe for your Malt O Meal muffins?

We get United Way take and bake fundraiser Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes, and some kind of dessert. Can't wait!

Turned out it was Swiss steak, not Salisbury steak. Lots of carrots and onions, which is not how I usually make it, but it was really good! We have enough leftovers for at least 3 more meals! Not bad for twenty bucks.

Cheryl, what a fabulous looking steak. Joey, that looks really good if I pretend it isn't trout.

We ordered from Mr. Falafel: a combo (beef and chicken) platter with tabouleh and a falafel platter. We had akvavit with, just because. :pig:

Last edited:
001.JPG

I thought of Kayelle and her Sous Chef while making this dish
from Cooking Light Dec 2015 Issue
Hamburger Steaks with Sweet Onion and Mushrooms-
minus the cheese though.
I made extra gravy to serve over our steamed white rice,
of course, K can't have rice, but SC can ;)
When I asked DH what he thought about dinner, he replied,
"MMM, tastes just like Flamingo's, good."
(that's a family owned restaurant, bakery and bar in Honolulu that is no more, sadly)

Tonight's "using up leftovers" actually does not look like leftovers! I cut up the last of the rotisserie bird I got on Saturday, sauteed all the mushrooms in the fridge, added the chicken and some jarred Alfredo sauce to the pot along with some white wine (because I'm out of dry Sherry :ohmy: ) and tossed in cooked noodles. Steamed the last of the broccoli and quick-blanched the asparagus I bought a week ago and hadn't had a chance to use, and put it all pretty on our plates. Then we stuffed our faces. :pig:

Attachments

• 2015-12-17 20.58.05.jpg
    2015-12-17 20.58.05.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 167
Some lovely looking meals here tonight! CG, yours looks entirely too healthy with those nice green veggies!

That's OK, Dawg, we made up for that with a couple of cookies washed down with a plus-size "serving" of egg nog fresh from the farm. Himself got a call today from the dairy farmer who nabbed him to do astronomy viewing nights this past summer. She wanted him to pick up his gift quart of nog. Delicious gift! :yum:

In case you didn't remember/know, the theme of her corn maze was "The Milky Way". I told Himself she'll probably be dreaming up another astronomy-themed maze for next year just so she can get him to come down with his telescope again. :LOL:

GG, I sure could have used some of your wonderful mustard tonight!

Cheryl, you sure know how to cook a steak!

Kgirl, that looks like a good recipe for us!

I was inspired GG and found this at Trader Joe's. I froze half of it. It cooked up beautifully and was delicious, with lots of bacon veggies for us and itty bitty potatoes for him. A splash of the white wine I was drinking helped everything along. "I love cooking with wine, sometimes I even put it in food". ;-)

img_1447687_0_92050d836ca2cc815fef14af79a377f6.jpg
img_1447687_1_788d87c703aec0a09ebb5765aae7a1a0.jpg

Last edited:
I used my new Staub DO to make a pot roast with a smaller Black Angus boneless chuck roast and the usual supporting ingredients.

Chicken Marsala with roasted Brussels sprouts. I went heavy on the bacon and light on the balsamic for the sprouts.:yum:

GG, I sure could have used some of your wonderful mustard tonight!

Cheryl, you sure know how to cook a steak!

Kgirl, that looks like a good recipe for us!

I was inspired GG and found this at Trader Joe's. I froze half of it. It cooked up beautifully and was delicious, with lots of bacon veggies for us and itty bitty potatoes for him. A splash of the white wine I was drinking helped everything along. "I love cooking with wine, sometimes I even put it in food". ;-)

img_1447772_0_92050d836ca2cc815fef14af79a377f6.jpg
img_1447772_1_788d87c703aec0a09ebb5765aae7a1a0.jpg

Yum, Kayelle! Look at all those luscious veggies!

Back
Top Bottom