Converting potato soup recipe to crockpot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beth19

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I have a question - I am trying to convert this potato soup recipe to a crockpot recipe. I was in one of my old cookbooks but I also found online. I really like it and it tastes delicious with bacon and cheese. I know I would have to reduce liquids in a slow cooker, but not sure by how much. Also, I would like to make enough for a 5-6 quart slow cooker - can't tell if this would be enough or should I add an extra "half" to recipe instead of doubling?. I assume I would just put the cut potatoes on the bottom and add all the other ingredient and cook for 8 hours. What about the milk, though - would I add near the end of cooking? I'd truly appreciate any help you could give me.

Home-Style Potato Soup recipe from Betty Crocker

Thanks!

Beth Smith

Welcome to DC! My take, I would follow the instructions and ingredients as written. Cook the potatoes on high until tender in your CP, reduce to low, add the other stuff, and add the milk at the end. I think the recipe should work fine in your CP.

Last edited:
Hi, Beth and welcome to DC! :flowers:

Just my opinion, but I don't think I'd make a potato soup in the crockpot. I think after 6-8 hours the potatoes would be mush, especially if your crockpot is one of the newer ones that cook at a higher temp. The recipe you posted sounds delish, and it only takes an hour or two to make it stovetop.

If you want to try it though, I agree with Dawg and don't add your dairy until the last few minutes. Same with the cheese - dairy products don't do well with long crockpot cooking.

Last edited:
Always add milk at the very end of any recipe that requires to be heated. And add it slowly. Otherwise if you just dump it in, it will curdle. And stir it as you are adding it. It is a rule that applies to when you are making chowders, stews and soups. Once you start to add the milk, make sure you don't allow it to come to a full boil. A very gentle simmer is all that is required. What you are doing is just heating up the milk. Not cooking it. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom