What's for dinner? Wednesday, 1-20-16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
Tyler will be here for an afternoon dinner with me before basketball practice, so I'm making his faves. Roast chicken, mashed potatoes, and steamed broccoli and carrots.

What's on everyone's plate today? :chef:

Pizza tonight. Don't have a lot of pepperoni so I'll do a combination of that and genoa salami with some onion.

I did a buffet for my brother's birthday. Made far too much (portion wise) so in the next few days I will be eating leftovers of:-

- devils on horseback (with mango chutney inside the prunes)
- chorizo in red wine (tapas) - recipe (chorizo still a little tough despite low heat)
- home made harissa dip (with greek yogurt, creme fraiche and may) - my own concoction
- roasted red pepper salad with a sun dried tomato dressing (recipe)
- red cabbage salad, with grapes, walnuts, raisins, apples, celery. Dressing of apple juice, greek yogurt and mayo (served on the side) - a great recipe
- A few savoury scones (freshly made) halved and topped with creme fraiche, smoked salmon and some dill

- Half a deluxe fruit trifle - bakewell sponge base (bought and dried out then drenched in orange cointreau), then diced fresh mangoes, pineapple and banana. Over this was vanilla custard and topped with light whipped cream sprinkled over with pomegranates and pistachio nuts (for colour contrast). My own idea.

Last edited:
What a wonderful spread you made Creative. I especially like the sound of this...
red cabbage salad, with grapes, walnuts, raisins, apples, celery. Dressing of apple juice, greek yogurt and mayo (served on the side) - a great recipe

Dinner with Tyler sounds like a happy time. So glad he's not a junk food kid!

I'm tired of cooking......maybe take out tonight.

Last edited:
Thinking chicken with something. Will be watching this thread for inspiration. DH is not happy with leftovers. Though I'd bet he would love creative's leftovers!

Last edited:
Can't find my chicken breast. I know it's in the freezer somewhere. I have big plans for it.

Cheryl J please tell me they lower the basketball hoops for kids his size!

Creative, that's a whole banquet and more you made for your brother's bd. I've never had trifle, nor angels on horseback. So I think those sound the most intriguing.

As for me, I made an early dinner with chicken fettuccine alfredo and garlic toast. Not exactly light, so I served frozen baby peas on the side.

I found the elusive chicken breast! I cut it into small chunks, sauteed it with a small chopped onion, and now it's cooking with McCormick's Country Gravy mix.

Creative, that's a whole banquet and more you made for your brother's bd. I've never had trifle, nor angels on horseback. So I think those sound the most intriguing.
Thanks. Oh trifle is a divine English dessert - a layered delight! I did a variation on a traditional trifle (usually the sponge base has sherry and there is a jelly layer before the custard).

It was devils on horseback, i.e. prunes covered in streaky bacon, secured with a cocktail stick and quickly baked. Angels on horseback has oysters instead of prunes.

Well that's new. Learn to comprehend what I read too!! Never noticed there is a difference between Devils and Angels on horseback, even title differences. :ohmy: Different ingredients, yes, but I just thought these are variations.

Pot luck tonight. I am looking forward to the pecan crusted salmon, potatoes and broccoli, and a tossed salad. I am taking my new found talent of making yeasted breads at a high altitude; herbed dinner rolls.

Cheryl J please tell me they lower the basketball hoops for kids his size!

As for me, I made an early dinner with chicken fettuccine alfredo and garlic toast. Not exactly light, so I served frozen baby peas on the side.

Oh yes, Whisk :LOL:, the hoops are about as low as they can go - maybe 6 feet high. They set them up for success, and the kids love it. Like with Tball last season, they learn sportsmanship and get to work out a lot of energy. It's only an hour twice a week until they get a little older. :)

Mmmm...your dinner sounds wonderful. I've been craving fettuccini alfredo and have some shrimp in the freezer - that may be tomorrow's dinner. :yum:

Tyler will be here for an afternoon dinner with me before basketball practice, so I'm making his faves. Roast chicken, mashed potatoes, and steamed broccoli and carrots....

Dinner with the little man. :wub::LOL:

Attachments

• dinnerwithTyler.jpg
    dinnerwithTyler.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
I did a buffet for my brother's birthday. Made far too much (portion wise) so in the next few days I will be eating leftovers of:-

- devils on horseback (with mango chutney inside the prunes)
- chorizo in red wine (tapas) - recipe (chorizo still a little tough despite low heat)
- home made harissa dip (with greek yogurt, creme fraiche and may) - my own concoction
- roasted red pepper salad with a sun dried tomato dressing (recipe)
- red cabbage salad, with grapes, walnuts, raisins, apples, celery. Dressing of apple juice, greek yogurt and mayo (served on the side) - a great recipe
- A few savoury scones (freshly made) halved and topped with creme fraiche, smoked salmon and some dill

- Half a deluxe fruit trifle - bakewell sponge base (bought and dried out then drenched in orange cointreau), then diced fresh mangoes, pineapple and banana. Over this was vanilla custard and topped with light whipped cream sprinkled over with pomegranates and pistachio nuts (for colour contrast). My own idea.

These dishes sound fabulous, creative! :yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom