Recipe specifies stewing steak: Braising vs Casserole steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Distorted Vision

Assistant Cook
I just bought a Crockpot and I'm following a slow cooker recipe for Goulash which specifies stewing steak. I'm still a novice cook and don't really know what that is. I was buying the ingredients in M&S and the tannoy announced the closure of the store in 5 minutes. So I didn't have a chance to look it up on phone so I grabbed one pack of braising steak and one pack of casserole.
Which of the two should I use as a substitute for stewing steak?

Many thanks!

Thanks - I should point out I'm British and the American naming conventions confuse matters somewhat. I still don't know if to use the braising or casserole steak.

I just bought a Crockpot and I'm following a slow cooker recipe for Goulash which specifies stewing steak. I'm still a novice cook and don't really know what that is. I was buying the ingredients in M&S and the tannoy announced the closure of the store in 5 minutes. So I didn't have a chance to look it up on phone so I grabbed one pack of braising steak and one pack of casserole.
Which of the two should I use as a substitute for stewing steak?

Many thanks!
(First of all, I'm in the UK and the "technical" terms I use may mean something else in the US. Meat is cut slightly differently in the US & the UK so what seems to be the same cut sometimes isn't.)

As to your question - Either really. Braising steak usually takes less time to cook than stewing steak.

"Casserole" steak is a bit of a catch-all name and can mean anything from shin (the best flavoured meat for stews and casseroles in my mind but takes long slow cooking) to chuck steak, which is what I'd use as "braising" steak. Better to ask for the cut you want rather than just "stewing steak" especially if you don't know the butcher and his reputation very well!

If you "Google" "Chuck steak uk" it'll take you to the Jamie Oliver forum where there is a discussion on this very thing and there is a very good answer from "Cannyfraddock" which explains it well.

If you use shin, cut off the fat and any gristle-y bits (although the latter stew down to soft jelly and flavour the gravy well - you can cut them off before serving).

If you "Google" "Chuck steak uk" it'll take you to the Jamie Oliver forum where there is a discussion on this very thing and there is a very good answer from "Cannyfraddock" which explains it well.

You don't even have to do that - I already did and posted the link right above your post, MC ;)

Back
Top Bottom