Flavored Salts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RPCookin

Executive Chef
I posted this in another thread, but it was headed a bit off topic, so I thought I'd start a new thread in the right forum and see where it takes us. I love using various seasoning salts when cooking, as well as putting some of them on the table when serving so guests can season to their own taste. Some of those that I use either for cooking or for finishing are mentioned below.

I love seasoning salts - kill two birds with one shake. I have the standard like garlic and onion salts, but I have some others too.

I have a couple from Savory Spice Shop: the first is called County Clare Seasoning Salt that is fabulous on vegetables. Another one from Savory is Cantanzaro Herbs Seasoning Salt which is great on a lot of things from eggs to chicken to steak. (they also have the Cantanzaro herbs without salt)

Then I have Ghost Pepper Salt from High Plains Spice Shop which is very spicy. Also had their Habeñero salt but used that up and haven't needed to replace until the GP salt gets low.

I don't use a lot of seasoned salts. I stay away from garlic and onion salts. I prefer garlic and onion powders. I can season with salt separately.

I have Penzeys seasoned salt and the smoked version.

I have several seasoning blends that do not include salt.

I don't use a lot of seasoned salts. I stay away from garlic and onion salts. I prefer garlic and onion powders. I can season with salt separately.

I have Penzeys seasoned salt and the smoked version.

I have several seasoning blends that do not include salt.

We have to have garlic salt in the cupboard. My wife prefers spaghetti with just butter and garlic salt. I think if it wasn't so undietetic that she could live on that and nothing else.

I'm not a fan of "seasoned" salts, but think that different pure salts have distinct, subtle flavors of their own.

:(That link is broken GG.

GG's link worked fine on my iPad, Kay, however, I couldn't get your link to work for more than 2 seconds, enough time to see it was Lawery's, then it popped off.

Hmmm...strange, both links worked fine for me. :ermm:

I have the good ol' Lawry's and like it, I don't seem to use it much, though. My daughter and her family also love it on their eggs. I've been wanting to try the Penzey's 4S, but totally forgot to put it on my last order. Which should be delivered today, by the way. :w00t:

Usually I try to buy the salt free blends and add my own salt as needed.

We have to have garlic salt in the cupboard. My wife prefers spaghetti with just butter and garlic salt. I think if it wasn't so undietetic that she could live on that and nothing else.

I have no issue with using garlic and salt in a recipe. I prefer to add them separately so I can control each one. If a recipe is already salty, I'd be concerned abut adding garlic salt but not garlic powder.

I have no issue with using garlic and salt in a recipe. I prefer to add them separately so I can control each one. If a recipe is already salty, I'd be concerned abut adding garlic salt but not garlic powder.

If I'm using a seasoned salt, I add that first, then adjust with regular salt if needed. Since I use it mostly in my own creations, I'm not following any particular recipe.

I don't seasoned salts, but I have a variety of flavoured/specialty finishing salts/sea salts:
Cyprus oak smoked
Maldoc smoked
Pink Himalayan
Vanilla bean bourbon
Bkack lava
Shitaki
Fleur-de-lys
Pretzel salt
Llime salt
Orange salt
Lemon salt
Chili salts
Smoked kosher, and others I can't remember
I cook with kosher, fine/med/coarse sea salt.

I use regular Morton box table salt (mainly for boiling) and course sea salt for cooking .

For the table I have Trader Joe's Garlic salt grinder, Trader Joe's Himalayan pink salt grinder, Trader Joe's South African Smoke grinder (smoky salt), and a grinder with course sea salt.

For seasoning/cooking I make an all purpose blend with garlic and onion Powders among other spices and salt.

I also found a set of flavored salt on Amazon that I want to try (picture below).

Attachments

• 71fcW+Cuf0L__SX522_.jpg
    71fcW+Cuf0L__SX522_.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
I use regular Morton box table salt (mainly for boiling) and course sea salt for cooking .

For the table I have Trader Joe's Garlic salt grinder, Trader Joe's Himalayan pink salt grinder, Trader Joe's South African Smoke grinder (smoky salt), and a grinder with course sea salt.

For seasoning/cooking I make an all purpose blend with garlic and onion Powders among other spices and salt.

I also found a set of flavored salt on Amazon that I want to try (picture below).

Those refillable Trader Joe's grinder salts and peppers are the bomb and I think I have all of them! I filled an empty one with pieces of dried Porcini mushrooms, and another with coriander seeds.

Last edited:

You can make some of those At home. I make the citrus ones,chili, and mushroom salts I use.

Those Trader Joe's grinder salts and peppers are the bomb and I think I have all of them! I filled an empty one with pieces of dried Porcini mushrooms, and another with coriander seeds.

Great (or grate) idea, Kay. A friend gave me a chunk of Himalayan pink salt, I can't figure out what to do with it. I bashed it with a hammer, tried a microplane grater, and all that came off was a couple flakes. Hard as a rock. Wonder if a spice grinder would work. No trip to TJ's in the near future, but I'm adding those spice mills to my list for future.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom