Mayo prep questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I'm still having a challenge making homemade mayo with my immersion blender. It's coming out like runny liquid:( I'm wondering if it's because I didn't let the egg sit out of the fridge long enough. I left it out for 30 minutes.

Here are the ingredients I used:

1 egg yoke
1 tbsp lime juice
1 cup sunflower oil
pinch of salt

Should I have used the whole egg? Maybe left the egg out a little longer? I'm so frustrated with this!!!

I use the egg straight out of the refrigerator with no problem. Sometimes I use the blender and sometimes I use the stick blender in a tall shaker glass.

Blender Mayonnaise
1 egg
¼ t salt
1 t prepared mustard
1 cup oil
1 ½ T lemon juice or vinegar (I usually use vinegar)
1 T hot water

Put ¼ cup oil, egg, salt, mustard into blender and blend. Gradually add remaining oil in a slow stream, add the lemon juice or vinegar and the hot water.

This video was made by one of our regular contributors, take a look!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScEBHzh3nbw

Good luck!

I use the egg straight out of the refrigerator with no problem. Sometimes I use the blender and sometimes I use the stick blender in a tall shaker glass.

Blender Mayonnaise
1 egg
¼ t salt
1 t prepared mustard
1 cup oil
1 ½ T lemon juice or vinegar (I usually use vinegar)
1 T hot water

Put ¼ cup oil, egg, salt, mustard into blender and blend. Gradually add remaining oil in a slow stream, add the lemon juice or vinegar and the hot water.

This video was made by one of our regular contributors, take a look!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScEBHzh3nbw

Good luck!

Thanks for the recipe and video! I'm surprised he only used 1/2 cup of oil. Another member named James, in a video he posted a while back, suggested not going under 3/4 cup. I also see that this video recommended using a room temperature egg. Why would that be important?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I use apple cider vinegar.

I also try to make my mayo a day ahead so it can thicken in the fridg and the flavors get a chance to blend.

Keep trying, you will get the hang of it!

I use apple cider vinegar.

I also try to make my mayo a day ahead so it can thicken in the fridg and the flavors get a chance to blend.

Keep trying, you will get the hang of it!

I just found the problem!!! The immersion blender speed was set to 1. When I set it to 2 it worked! Glad to hear about the apple cider vinegar. I always have that on hand :)

My Question..

Why make your own mayo?

Is it better/different from store bought?

I mean I make my own Hot Salsa, and it is much better than store bought plus it is fun making homemade things..

but i never really thought about mayo..

Thanks, Eric AustinTx.

My Question..

Why make your own mayo?

I mean I make my own Hot Salsa, and it is much better than store bought plus it is fun making homemade things..

Thanks, Eric AustinTx.

Omg so many reasons! Most store bought mayo is made from soybean and other GMO oils. If you make your own you can choose the oil as well as the quality of the other ingredients. I used organic sunflower oil, eggs, and limes. It came out really yummy. Now I'm going to add some lime zest to it :)

My Question..

Why make your own mayo?

I make my own mayo if I'm going to use it as a special flavor component in a dish. For example, a BLT. For those I use homemade bread, homegrown tomatoes and lettuce, and local bacon. I think that kind of sandwich deserves creamy, flavorful homemade mayo.

My Question..

Why make your own mayo?

Thanks, Eric AustinTx.

The main reason for me to make it is that I will eat less of it over time.

Out of sight, out of mouth! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I just found the problem!!! The immersion blender speed was set to 1. When I set it to 2 it worked! Glad to hear about the apple cider vinegar. I always have that on hand :)

:clap:

I didn't see your earlier questions about the amount of oil, the room temperature egg, herbs, etc... until this morning.

When I first started making mayo I used a room temperature egg because it was specified in the directions, I don't understand the science behind it. I was running late one day and I forgot to take the egg out of the refrigerator so I used a cold egg and it worked. My thought is that years ago when cooks made mayo with a wisk or a hand beater it may have made the mayo come together easier and today with high speed equipment it is not as important, not sure.

I don't add herbs to my mayo when I make it. I make the additions called for when I add the finished mayo to a recipe.

As far as the amount of oil goes I have used a half cup to a cup per egg depending on how much mayo I need. Sometimes adding a little more oil will help to thicken a thin mayo.

Now, if your mayo fails in the future try this, it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrkH3n_kqZ0

:clap:

I didn't see your earlier questions about the amount of oil, the room temperature egg, herbs, etc... until this morning.

When I first started making mayo I used a room temperature egg because it was specified in the directions, I don't understand the science behind it. I was running late one day and I forgot to take the egg out of the refrigerator so I used a cold egg and it worked. My thought is that years ago when cooks made mayo with a wisk or a hand beater it may have made the mayo come together easier and today with high speed equipment it is not as important, not sure.

I don't add herbs to my mayo when I make it. I make the additions called for when I add the finished mayo to a recipe.

As far as the amount of oil goes I have used a half cup to a cup per egg depending on how much mayo I need. Sometimes adding a little more oil will help to thicken a thin mayo.

Now, if your mayo fails in the future try this, it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrkH3n_kqZ0

Aunt Bea, thank you for all the wonderful tips! I wish I had seen this video yesterday. I threw out a batch of broken mayonnaise because I didn't know it was fixable :(

Aunt Bea, thank you for all the wonderful tips! I wish I had seen this video yesterday. I threw out a batch of broken mayonnaise because I didn't know it was fixable :(

Always ask us before throwing something out! There is often a way to fix it, or use it for a different purpose! :) :chef:

Last edited:
Always ask us before throwing something out! There is often a way to fix it, or use it for a different purpose! :) :chef:

Will do! The batch I just made came out a little bland. If I want to try adding a little vinegar and mustard would that work? And should I use the immersion blender or a whisk?

Back
Top Bottom