Seasoned salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
What is it? I keep seeing it used on American and Canadian shows on "Food Network". Is it something you but off the shelf or is it a D-I-Y concoction? and if the latter what ingredients do you use?

Thanks

What is it? I keep seeing it used on American and Canadian shows on "Food Network". Is it something you but off the shelf or is it a D-I-Y concoction? and if the latter what ingredients do you use?

Thanks

I have several in the spice cabinet right now. Some are actually flavored salt and others are salt and seasoning blends. I use them in several ways, commonly on eggs or veggies. My ghost pepper and habeñero pepper salts I use to add heat to a quite a few things. When I use them I season with the flavored salts first, then add more plain salt only if needed.

Here's one fo the simplest ones I have ever seen:

Paula Deen's House Seasoning

Ingredients:

1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder

There are dozens of off-the-shelf seasoned salt available here, the most popular being Lawry's Seasoned Salt.
Just be sure to read any ingredients list before you buy something, MC. I always bought Lawry's until our daughter pointed out to me that the second ingredient is sugar. :ermm: Since Himself was diagnosed diabetic I've tried to eliminate it whenever I can. I feel it serves no purpose when seasoning my scrambled eggs. On the other hand, my potato salad or tuna salad just doesn't taste the same without a small shake-shake of the genuine Lawry's. Hence, I still keep a bottle on hand.

MC, here's a copycat recipe for Lawry's SS. It's been an American staple for generations. I must have in my morning eggs.

Lawrys Seasoned Salt Copycat) Recipe - Food.com
Because of the sugar thing, I switched to McCormick's "Season All". It was the same, except for no sugar. Then Morton bought the name, changed the formula to something else, and I'm less than happy with this version of Season All. I am VERY glad you posted the recipe link. Now I can make my own at home - with no sugar! Thanks, Kay!

I can see making your own Lawry's SS if they're not available where you live or want to tweak the mix of ingredients to your taste.
I usually buy their 8oz shaker for a couple of bucks which is probably a lot cheaper than mixing all the separate ingredients to make your own batch.

You're right there RF. I mainly was thinking it's likely not available in the UK. I didn't realize it's been an American classic here since 1938...even longer than me!

Something tells me it's as popular here as HP sauce is in England. I really like HP Sauce by the way.

Come to think of it, I've never seen it beside the salt and pepper in restaurants though.

Last edited:
It's clear I go to the wrong places Andy. I really miss it if we go out to breakfast.

Nothing wrong with filling a small empty Penzey's jar with it, tucking it into your purse, and discreetly shaking a little of it on your eggs. :) :D

We're thinking about another cruise and I don't know how often we've wanted to have those two items in the dining room and buffet. The food is generally good to fit "middle of the road tastes" so I be ready next time!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom