What's for dinner? 3-30-16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm planning on grilling a huge pork sirloin chop, if the wind doesn't come up. Doesn't look like it will. I'm thinking the sides will be a mushroom/spinach sauté and maybe a baked potato or mashed. It's only noon here now, so dinner is subject to change. ;):)

What's on your plate for this evening? :chef:

I was having too much fun outside playing with the neighbors' kids so I'm too tired to cook. A tub of frozen pork ragu with a salad will make a nice dinner for us tonight.

We have a meeting at church followed by choir so it'll be an early dinner at the little Italian place near the church. I'll probably have their calzone and a salad. Not sure what DH will order.

Have a hankering for spaghetti with tomato sauce. I'm hoping I can spelunk some ground beef or Italian sausage, otherwise it will be with minced clams.

Last edited:
Grilled cheese with sliced tomato with a glass of cold milk. Not very hungry. I did manage to eat the whole thing. Although it took me over an hour to do so. :angel:

Trout steamed in parchment paper (en Papillote) w/ rice & brocolli.

img_1460832_0_177e4cc09b6d13f39daadf0528332622.jpg

img_1460832_1_468378c8f913ccdeae98412f673e62ca.jpg

img_1460832_2_4f667314a7cbfe884615eea77cc10e38.jpg

I'm planning on grilling a huge pork sirloin chop, if the wind doesn't come up. Doesn't look like it will. I'm thinking the sides will be a mushroom/spinach sauté and maybe a baked potato or mashed. It's only noon here now, so dinner is subject to change. ;):)

What's on your plate for this evening? :chef:

Wow, was that pork sirloin chop extra thick. :ohmy: It was tender and good, thank goodness. Seasoning was simple, just kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Mushroom, onion, and spinach sautéed in butter, garlic and olive oil and just kind of poured over it all. Baked potato with butter, sour cream and fresh snipped chives. OMGosh...I'm stuffed and couldn't finish all of the pork - leftovers tomorrow.

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 152
Joey and Cheryl, you dinners look great! We had a wonderful seafood lunch at the lovely Aloha with a spectacular ocean view table. We're still stuffed, so maybe snacking on leftovers later.

We went to a life celebration for a co-worker of DH who passed away recently. His husband is a local food writer/editor who taught the food writing class I took several years ago.

The event was at a restaurant and a group of area chefs provided the food. It was like going to a tasting. Wonderful food, great turnout. So sad for Patrick, but he seems to be managing well.

I made bacon, eggs, hash browns, and toast. I used to carefully lay bacon side to side and flip it carefully. Now I just separate the slices and throw 'em in the cast iron skillet -- way easier. They come out curled up but oh well.

Last edited:
I'm remembering how to cook. I made our crockpot roast beef, I cut up potatoes and sprinkled them with a load of garlic and herbs and olive oil in the oven and roasted those. I steamed asparagus and it was really great.

I'm remembering!

Left to run errands about 3:30 or so. Wasn't gone from home even an hour when I decided to ditch three of the places I had planned on getting to, leaving me seven stops. By the time I got to my last stop I was starving. And it was 8:15 PM. Had to think of something quick.

Between a few quick picks at the store and some items on hand at home, we had mixed greens salads with corn, black beans, cheese, tomatoes, and buffalo chicken chunks. Buttermilk ranch dressing on top. Not bad for thinking on my feet!

Attachments

• 2016-03-30 22.06.42.jpg
    2016-03-30 22.06.42.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 176
That looks delicious, CG! It's one of my favorite salads and definitely a meal in a bowl. Here's one I made from last year - I think I must have been out of tomatoes so I added sliced red bells instead. Found it was a great addition so now I add them all the time. :)

If you haven't tried it yet, Marie's Chipotle Ranch dressing is FABULOUS on this type of salad. I like that it's made with buttermilk instead of mayo. :yum:

Attachments

• chicken, black bean, and corn salad.jpg
    chicken, black bean, and corn salad.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 199
I made bacon, eggs, hash browns, and toast. I used to carefully lay bacon side to side and flip it carefully. Now I just separate the slices and throw 'em in the cast iron skillet -- way easier. They come out curled up but oh well.

I love breakfast for dinner almost more than breakfast for breakfast. ;):LOL:

Thanks for the dressing suggestion, Cheryl. I checked Marie's ingredients list against the bottle of Ken's that we have...shorter. That is a good thing. ;)

Not sure how long it would take to go through a bottle of dressing with chipotle seasoning in it, but I do have ground chipotle pepper in the spice cabinet. We could always mix a bit of it into Marie's buttermilk dressing when the mood hits, though. I'll have to look for this in the grocery store when we need to replenish our creamy dressing selection.

Thanks for the dressing suggestion, Cheryl. I checked Marie's ingredients list against the bottle of Ken's that we have...shorter. That is a good thing. ;)

Not sure how long it would take to go through a bottle of dressing with chipotle seasoning in it, but I do have ground chipotle pepper in the spice cabinet. We could always mix a bit of it into Marie's buttermilk dressing when the mood hits, though. I'll have to look for this in the grocery store when we need to replenish our creamy dressing selection.

Good idea - I'll have to look for that next time I place a Penzey's order. I have their ground adobo that came with my last order, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Chipotle powder would be something good to have on hand. Lately I've been keeping Herdez canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in a ziplock in the freezer frozen flat, and breaking off a little as I need it and throwing it back in the freezer. It's good mixed with ranch, or in plain yogurt or sour cream for a sauce for fish tacos. :yum:

I have a hard time going through a whole jar of salad dressing just for me, so when I buy one I'm committed to salads for a while. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom