Easy Cinnamon Rolls... Try this next time...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Rugged Dude

Senior Cook
The next time you make some pie pastry, make some extra, roll it out thin about the size of a medium pizza. Cover it with soft butter, brown sugar and cinnamon... don't be too chinsy with this stuff.

Roll it up and bake it (ungreased baking sheet) at about 350 F for about 30 - 40 minutes or so??? Just check it... when they're done, take 'em out, slice them about 2 inches thick.

Only one word of caution... don't roll them too thick or they might not cook very well in the centre... (Yes, we Canadians spell centre differently!)

You can add finely chopped nuts if you like... top it with ice cream, icing sugar or any other disgustingly delicious crap that we really shouldn't, but do on occasion, eat.

Thanks for the memory!!!

These cinnamon rolls were our introduction to baking when I was a kid. We used to get the scraps of dough from pie crust and make them as you have indicated or spread them with some jam and roll them up for a quick treat, that took our mind off of the pie that was out of bounds until Sunday dinner!

I have heard some Canadians refer to them as "Pete De Soeur". :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
My Mom made those, but she would cut them when the dough was raw. She would put them on a small round aluminum tray, then pop them into the oven to bake along with the pie. It was my job to watch them through the oven window and tell her when they looked done. My reward was to have one as soon as they were cool enough. The rest of the family had to wait until after supper.

Full disclosure - I'm an only child. However, there were FOUR adults (three generations) in the house while I was growing up.

Very interesting... this is the first time I've ever heard of anyone else making these...

My "Nanny" called them "Nun's Farts." I don't know why... Sounded cool, I guess.

Sounds like the kind of thing I would automatically burn my tongue. Molten sugar. Not a complaint, just need to not lick them while they're still in the oven, or something.

As kids my bro and I got to make "pie cookies" cin/ sugar with the pie crust scraps. I still do this whenever I make pies.

We make something very similar every Christmas. We call it a Christmas ring. The pie dough is rolled out and covered with a generous coating of soft butter. Cinnamon and sugar are sprinkled liberally over the top. Nuts and raisins are spread on top of the cinnamon and sugar. The whole thing is jelly-rolled and carefully placed on a parchment covered baking sheet and formed into a horseshoe shape. We then score the top and brush with milk. It's then baked until golden brown.

When its removed from the oven, we coat it with a milk/powdered sugar icing and let it cool. Pretty tasty stuff.

Thanks for reminding me.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom