"51 Sensational Foods America Gave The World"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes I had that thought that some of the foods were from immigrants but then how far back do you go - native americans?

Overall, I think it's a pretty good list. Obviously there are likely to be many regional foods that people will argue should be added.

The only two things I thought should be on the list (and maybe they were and I just missed them) are pulled pork and barbecued ribs. I consider both to be foods that have their origins here.

Last edited:
"51 Sensational Foods America Gave The World"

Pulled pork and BBQ ribs are both on there, early in the list.

Good stuff!

Technically, the only food that exclusively belongs to us is corn. When Europeans like Columbus made contact with people living in North and South America, corn was a major part of the diet of most native people. When Columbus "discovered" America, he also discovered corn. But up to this time, people living in Europe did not know about corn. Nice list of foods there, however, all but corn came from somewhere else.
That being said, the salads such as Cobb, Caesar and Waldorf have a traceable history in the USA, along with Toll House Cookies. Oh, and Buffalo Wings too.

Whoops, I just read your interesting links Bea!

Last edited:
Technically, the only food that exclusively belongs to us is corn. When Europeans like Columbus made contact with people living in North and South America, corn was a major part of the diet of most native people. When Columbus "discovered" America, he also discovered corn. But up to this time, people living in Europe did not know about corn. Nice list of foods there, however, all but corn came from somewhere else.
Same with tomatoes and squash, which also originated in the Americas and were previously unknown to Europeans. Can you imagine how different Italian food would be without tomatoes?

That being said, the salads such as Cobb, Caesar and Waldorf have a traceable history in the USA, along with Toll House Cookies. Oh, and Buffalo Wings too.

Whoops, I just read your interesting links Bea!

All members of the nightshade family of plants originated in Central and South America - in addition to tomatoes, that includes eggplants, all peppers, tomatillos and potatoes.

Nightshade Family Vegetables: A List Of Nightshade Vegetables

Thanks for starting this thread creative, and to those of you who posted links - sounds very interesting! Will be reading through this after my grandson gets picked up later this afternoon.

I agree Kay...I learn something new here every day. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom