Butter is Good!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
Last edited:
:clap:

I felt guilty the other day picking up a half pound package of cultured European style butter. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I don't use much but I gotta have it on my steamed asparagus! :yum:

Thank you Steve.

This once again demonstrates the scientific community has little understanding of how foods and the human body interact.

These reversals of universal truths have been going on for decades. I decided some time ago that I would just ignore all the breathless proclamations and eat what I want.

Conversations with my doctor have yielded similar results. He reveals that the truths the medical community once clung tightly to have since been, at least, brought into question if not completely debunked.

There are some veggies and other foods that simply CANNOT be eaten without butter. ;) I think it may be a law somewhere. A beautiful well seasoned and cooked steak without a pat of butter? Such a sacrilegious action. Thirty lashes with a strand of cooked pasta.

Emeril used to say "Pork Rules." I say Butter Rules. :angel:

Thank you Steve.

This once again demonstrates the scientific community has little understanding of how foods and the human body interact.

These reversals of universal truths have been going on for decades. I decided some time ago that I would just ignore all the breathless proclamations and eat what I want.

Conversations with my doctor have yielded similar results. He reveals that the truths the medical community once clung tightly to have since been, at least, brought into question if not completely debunked.

I'm not sure we should blame the scientific community for the poor communication skills of some reporters. The media too often repeats unsubstantiated claims or oversimplifies study results, so the public ends up being misinformed.

Check this out: "Feeding Homo Sapiens: Are We Truly as Clueless as We Seem?"

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/diet-and-nutrition_b_4472930.html

There are some veggies and other foods that simply CANNOT be eaten without butter. ;) I think it may be a law somewhere. A beautiful well seasoned and cooked steak without a pat of butter? Such a sacrilegious action. Thirty lashes with a strand of cooked pasta.

As much as I love steak, I have never put butter on it. That's for the potato :yum:

Emeril said, "Pork FAT rules!" ? ;)

We use butter every time it's needed. My daughter uses margarine.
She left a stick or two here about 6 months ago. Its still sitting in the fridge as we have no desire to use it. Even in a box potato side dish.
I like salted even though most recipes call for unsalted. We buy salted at Costco.

Check this out: "Feeding Homo Sapiens: Are We Truly as Clueless as We Seem?"

Feeding Homo Sapiens: Are We Truly as Clueless as We Seem?
Funny thing... I'm an admin on another food-related board, and I've said this same thing myself many, many times. I see so many posts where people will ask something silly like "Should I eat 2 meals a day, or 3?"

:huh: Really?

My answer to these folks is YOU SHOULD EAT WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY! :LOL:

Human beings are the only species on the entire planet who seem to have a need to be told how to do something that should come natural.

All things in moderation, right?

We went out to breakfast yesterday, and I asked for the butter on the side of my toast please.
I got a small plastic cup with a small scoop of MARGARINE, ACK!!
emoticon-yuck.gif
Needless to say, I left the toast, thanks anyways.

Funny thing... I'm an admin on another food-related board, and I've said this same thing myself many, many times. I see so many posts where people will ask something silly like "Should I eat 2 meals a day, or 3?"

My answer to these folks is YOU SHOULD EAT WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY! :LOL:

Human beings are the only species on the entire planet who seem to have a need to be told how to do something that should come natural.

That is exactly what I do. Right now I have a lovely pork chop brining. Pirate may be the one to eat it. If I am not hungry, I do not eat. Not even the six or so small snacks that are said to be recommended by dieticians for diabetic patients. Common sense tells me what to do. :angel:

I'm another who eats when I'm hungry. Rarely if ever eat breakfast. I do love butter on many things.

...A beautiful well seasoned and cooked steak without a pat of butter? Such a sacrilegious action...
Um, no. No butter on steak at our table. If I have an excellent piece of steak that is full of great flavor, why would I want to mask that with butter? Butter on steak is akin to steak sauce on steak - you use it to hide an inferior piece of meat. Or one that has had the juice cooked out of it. Like GG, I'll just make sure my tater is slathered good. :yum:

We rarely have steak because we like a really good piece that can get a little pricey. It comes from an old-fashioned butcher that raises and slaughters his own cattle. We like to pick quality over quantity - or frequency.
...I see so many posts where people will ask something silly like "Should I eat 2 meals a day, or 3?"

My answer to these folks is YOU SHOULD EAT WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY! :LOL:...
Sadly, a lot of people these days don't understand the difference between a need-to-eat hunger and an I'm-bored-so-I'll-eat hunger. :(

Sadly, a lot of people these days don't understand the difference between a need-to-eat hunger and an I'm-bored-so-I'll-eat hunger. :(
Or for that matter, the "It's 6:00 so it's time to eat" logic.

I'll admit we always did that when our daughter was growing up. We planned family time around the dinner table. But now that I'm on my own, I eat any old time I please. Dinner might be anywhere from 3:00 in the afternoon until 9:00 at night. It just depends on when I'm hungry.

Thanks, Steve. I can't remember the last time I bought margarine/oleo...whatever it's called. Give me butter with dairy over chemicals any day.:)

We had the "dinner at 6" for years, hungry or not, too. For the last many years though, I also just eat when I'm hungry. It is sort of a loose schedule, with a late morning breakfast and early dinner. I like to have my main meal by 4 or so. Snacking in between. If I eat late like I did last night at 7 :ohmy:, that's out of the norm. It's just what works for me.

A few of the recent posts about eating when you're hungry reminded me of a thread from a year or two ago. I thought it was fun and interesting - I'll try to find it and bump it for our newer members in case they want to add to it. :) :chef:

Last edited:
I was raised with butter and have never bought into the notion of replacing butter even when it was fashionable and less expensive to do so. Remember all the various TV commericials...."tastes like butter", "better than butter"? No it doesn't, and no it's not. :wacko:

Over the years I've ping-ponged using butter and margarine, reading health articles about the two. :wacko:

When I was raising my family it was oleo for just the savings in cost. But every so often I would buy butter for baking. Then one day I read the list of ingredients on the oleo. I switched to only butter and never went back. My kids noticed the difference right away. And I found they were more likely to eat veggies without a fight.

At that time I was unaware of the supposedly health dangers of using butter. I have never gone back to oleo and never will. But I have cut down on the use. I am eating less and baking less. I used to buy four pound boxes of butter every month. Now it is just one pound. And I don't even use all that in a month. And there are two of us in this home. :angel:

For me, nothing puts the "sunny" in my sunny side up fried eggs better than cooking them in a pat of butter.

We use butter every time it's needed. My daughter uses margarine.
She left a stick or two here about 6 months ago. Its still sitting in the fridge as we have no desire to use it. Even in a box potato side dish.
I like salted even though most recipes call for unsalted. We buy salted at Costco.

I use unsalted for cooking because I want to be the one to control the salt in the dish. Salted is only used when serving something on the table that needs butter, like spreading it on fresh bread.

Um, no. No butter on steak at our table. If I have an excellent piece of steak that is full of great flavor, why would I want to mask that with butter? Butter on steak is akin to steak sauce on steak - you use it to hide an inferior piece of meat. Or one that has had the juice cooked out of it. Like GG, I'll just make sure my tater is slathered good. :yum:

We rarely have steak because we like a really good piece that can get a little pricey. It comes from an old-fashioned butcher that raises and slaughters his own cattle. We like to pick quality over quantity - or frequency.

Many of the best steak houses serve steak with a pat of compound butter. It certainly doesn't mask the flavor of the meat like a steak sauce does - it enhances, just as any other properly done seasoning.

I was raised with butter and have never bought into the notion of replacing butter even when it was fashionable and less expensive to do so. Remember all the various TV commericials...."tastes like butter", "better than butter"? No it doesn't, and no it's not. :wacko:

I was raised on oleomargarine in Minnesota, where they couldn't even sell it pre-colored because the dairy industry had a stronger lobby than the margarine industry. It came in a sealed plastic bag with a dot of food coloring that had to be massaged into the margarine after purchase. We simply couldn't afford butter except for special occasions.

For me, nothing puts the "sunny" in my sunny side up fried eggs better than cooking them in a pat of butter.

I use unsalted for cooking because I want to be the one to control the salt in the dish. Salted is only used when serving something on the table that needs butter, like spreading it on fresh bread.

Many of the best steak houses serve steak with a pat of compound butter. It certainly doesn't mask the flavor of the meat like a steak sauce does - it enhances, just as any other properly done seasoning.

I was raised on oleomargarine in Minnesota, where they couldn't even sell it pre-colored because the dairy industry had a stronger lobby than the margarine industry. It came in a sealed plastic bag with a dot of food coloring that had to be massaged into the margarine after purchase. We simply couldn't afford butter except for special occasions.

As a kid, we took turns turning that white blob into a yellow mass. We thought we were creating magic. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom