Chicken Soup, change up your Greens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I made up some Chicken La'ronge the other night with chicken breasts. I always purchase my chicken breasts with skin and bones include. So I took the skin off and browned it in a saucepan, then added water and the bones. I covered it and put it on the back burner to simmer while I cooked dinner.

After dinner, I removed the bones and skin from the broth and seasoned it with salt, Accent, and a hint of dried Porcinni powder to taste. It was yummy with a complex, yet delicate flavor, mostly chicken flavor. To the broth, I added peeled and sliced carrot, chopped onion, and asparagus. I let this simmer until the carrots were nearly cooked through, then added thick pasta noodles (like Kluski noodles), and simmered until the noodles were done.

Here's the recipe.

Ingredients:
2 medium size, bone in, skin on chicken breasts
2 carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1/8 cup chopped asparagus tips
1/8 tsp. dried Porcinni mushroom powder
1/2 cup Klusky noodles (or make your own as fresh noodles would be amazing in this soup)
Chicken white meat
Salt to taste
2 cups water

REDebone and skin the chicken breasts, setting the breast meat aside for a meal. Leave a bit of the meat attached to the bones. Brown skin in a sauce pan. Add the bones, and water. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Remove the bones and skin and let cool (tip, the skin can be fried in hot oil to make them crispy and delicious). Remove all meat from the bones. Add the carrots, and mushroom powder to the simmering broth. Simmer for 5 minutes, taste, and correct the seasoning. Add the remaining ingredients and cook until the noodles are done.

Before I added teh asparagus, I tasted teh broth with just the onion and carrot. It was amazing. The full chicken flavor with a hit of carrot sweetness was some of the best soup base I've made. It didn't have the usual celery component that most of my broths have. I do love that celery flavor, but just wanted to try something different for the green component. Teh asparagus really worked well. I would make a large batch of this, but DW is allergic to asparagus. Well, it was a way to use up the bones and skin and make myself a couple of yummy lunches.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

You are so right Chief. The bones of any meat can only enhance the flavor of the soup. I do not like celery in any soup. So when I am making some soup for just myself, I leave it out and use just a few celery leaves. But not enough to overpower the flavor of chicken or any meat that I am using. When I am doing chicken, I often take the skin and gently sauté it to just release the fat. Once the skin get crispy, that is a treat for just the cook alone. There are many other flavors that can enhance soup besides the three old standbys. Celery, onions, carrots. I do love carrots and I have to have them in any soup. And for the onions, I sauté them in the chicken fat until they are translucent. Sometimes when I am feeling full of vim and vigor, I will also sauté the carrots, if I finely dice them. Then they go into the pot. No flavor from any of the additions are allowed to escape. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom