Kombucha

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erehweslefox

Sous Chef
So, anyone try making this, ever? I feel like it is within my capabilities, but I have no idea where to begin....

Thoughts?

TBS

I'll stick with brewed tea on ice, with fresh lemon wedges. :ohmy::)

Last edited:
I'm with you Cheryl, I adore the pitchers of brewed iced tea my SC makes for me. He has a special recipe he uses and there's always this delicious brew available in the fridge.

That was an interesting read about Kombucha though.

Our new landlord (the Missus) owns a Yoga Studio and yesterday had a seminar on how to make Kombucha at home.

My GF went and she is addicted to this stuff, she loves it, and described the taste in the same way as the author of that site you posted Kayelle.

Did you know that folks buy this stuff in the "health food stores" for $5 a serving (a large bottle).

My GF said that the gal who was conducting the seminar yesterday said that you can make a GALLON of this stuff for about $1.50!
Kombucha is all the rage in the natural food world right now, what with the
"healthy gut" movement of late... it all sounds pretty okey-dokey to me.
A healthy gut supports a healthy body.

Hmmm, I may have found my new "racket"

It's pretty common for "health" and "natural" food stores to exaggerate the benefits of whatever they sell. There doesn't seem to be much actual evidence that kombucha has beneficial effects. And the idea of drinking something that had a slimy growth on top of it just doesn't entice me.

I mean come on friends, this is about the same level of dealing with bacteria and yeasts that we get from dealing with Sourdough.

Still interested in experimenting with it.

I made it for a few months. I didn't see any health benefits and taking care of it is the same as having a sourdough starter.

We cook sourdough and I think that's a big differentiator from komboucha.

I did quit making it because I had a skin breakout that couldn't be attributed to anything else. I haven't had anything like it before or since.

I think the health benefits, or lack thereof, depend on your specific space.

Eat anything you want, but make it yourself.

Posting from the app.

You can buy Kombucha at Stop and Shop and pretty much every regular grocery store around here.

I love it.

Never made it but I do make my own water kefir which is very similar (and tastier)

There are tons of recipes/how-to's on line. I also have the book "The Art of Fermentation" which is one of the more fantastic food books Ive read.

I mean come on friends, this is about the same level of dealing with bacteria and yeasts that we get from dealing with Sourdough.

Still interested in experimenting with it.

Please do and let us know how it compares to commercially available stuff. I've never had either but I'm quite curious. The only thing I've ever made that involves a starter is yogurt that I make from the raw milk from my own dairy goats. My milk had a high butterfat content so my yogurt was head and shoulders better than store bought.

I think they're legal with a pellet gun. I'm a deadeye with a pellet gun.

Back
Top Bottom