What's for dinner? Tuesday 7-19-16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
Nice afternoon today - I'm thinking about firing up the Weber and grilling some rib eye 'kabobs. I've got some nice red and yellow bells, and some mushrooms that should be used soon. Probably no sides - the steak, onion, bells and shroomies will be plenty.

What's on your plate? :chef:

Tonight just tostadas. Tomorrow I may try to do something with ham, potatoes, and a white cheese or alfredo sauce. I have no idea how to do this, so it should be interesting.

Not sure what tonight's dinner will be. It's going to be a night to clean out the fridge/freezer.

Grilled veges. Zucchini, eggplant, yellow bell, sweet onion and grape tomatos. A few slices of garlic rubbed grilled bread too.

Nice afternoon today - I'm thinking about firing up the Weber and grilling some rib eye 'kabobs. I've got some nice red and yellow bells, and some mushrooms that should be used soon. Probably no sides - the steak, onion, bells and shroomies will be plenty.....

'kabobbies right off the grill. :)

I got lucky, since 'kabobs are kind of tricky - most of the cubed rib eye had a nice char and was rare to med rare, and the veggies were done but still had a bite to them. it was delish. I was too hungry to take a plated pic. :LOL: :yum:

Attachments

• grilled rib eye and veggie 'kabobs.jpg
    grilled rib eye and veggie 'kabobs.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

I got lucky, since 'kabobs are kind of tricky - most of the cubed rib eye had a nice char and was rare to med rare, and the veggies were done but still had a bite to them. it was delish. I was too hungry to take a plated pic. :LOL: :yum:

I learned from my dad that you shouldn't mix meats and veggies on the same skewer because they cook at different rates.

Too hot to do much of anything today but chill in the pool. In view of that, I scrounged in the freezer and came up with a small quantity of thinly-sliced beef. Along with onions and a can of chop suey veggies, we had beef chop suey over rice. A side of garden-fresh cucumber spears.

Wowzers!! They look just beautiful Cheryl! A well thought out mixed kabob can work out perfectly, and those sure did..:yum:

Beautiful kabobs, Cheryl!

We had corn-and-stuff salad over a bed of mixed baby greens and topped with Feta cheese and a fresh-made lime and basil dressing. Also, shrimp po'boys made with homemade blackening seasonings. Kinda spicy - hence the Abita Amber Ale. ;)

Attachments

• 2016-07-19 21.52.11.jpg
    2016-07-19 21.52.11.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 91
Thank you, Kay and CG! I've been 'kabobbin' for 20 years or so and have learned by trial and error about what size to cut the beef cubes, what size to cut the veggies, and keeping the veggies together on the skewer so they kind of steam and don't shrivel up and dry out before the beef is done.

Now, chicken 'kabobs...that's another story. They get skewers all to themselves. :)

Thank you, Kay and CG! I've been 'kabobbin' for 20 years or so and have learned by trial and error about what size to cut the beef cubes, what size to cut the veggies, and keeping the veggies together on the skewer so they kind of steam and don't shrivel up and dry out before the beef is done.

Now, chicken 'kabobs...that's another story. They get skewers all to themselves. :)

Yep, chicken is another story, and shrimp too.

I love shrimp, pineapple, onion slice and red pepper slice, but never put the fresh pineapple next to the shrimp. I have a shrimp kabob disaster story to tell about that, company witnessed. :wacko: The enzymes in fresh pineapple will eat up the shrimp if it's strung in advance before grilling.

I'm wanting to kabob on the grill again after seeing those pics. Getting the veggies grilled to perfection when the meat is ready is my goal. I like a lot of veggies, so I use more and larger slices. I briefly zap large onion and bell pepper slices before skewing them, so they end up fully cooked along side the meat.

Last edited:

So pretty, yum.

Back
Top Bottom