Dinner Menu - Wednesday 7/27/2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Beautiful evening. A light sea breeze is keeping temps around 80, which is about 10 degrees cooler than a short distance inland. Perfect evening for grilling.

Lemony boneless chicken thighs on the grill, risotto Milanese in the Zoji, steamed green beans.

I have chicken that needs to be cooked. It's 90 degrees without even a hint of a breeze. Do I sacrifice Himself to the Gods of Smothering Heat? Why yes, I will! :LOL: We'll pair our grilled chicken with steamed broccoli, and the last bistro roll - toasted, then topped with cheddar/granulated garlic/parsley and broiled until the cheese melts and gets a bit charred. Not gonna make salad since we have a cantaloupe that needs eating and we haven't had room for dessert lately.

Those of you who are grilling chicken...oh, that sounds so good. :yum: It's 112F out right now at 4PM, so no grillin' for me today.

I picked up a rotisserie chicken from Albertson's early this morning and will nibble on that for dinner. Not as good as Costco's rotisseries, but it'll do. I threw together a small potato salad this morning, so that will accompany the chicken, maybe a spear or two of dill pickles and definitely some iced tea. :yum:

I have chicken that needs to be cooked. It's 90 degrees without even a hint of a breeze. Do I sacrifice Himself to the Gods of Smothering Heat? Why yes, I will! :LOL: We'll pair our grilled chicken with steamed broccoli, and the last bistro roll - toasted, then topped with cheddar/granulated garlic/parsley and broiled until the cheese melts and gets a bit charred. Not gonna make salad since we have a cantaloupe that needs eating and we haven't had room for dessert lately.

Haa.. SC doesn't grill, ever, so it would be me outside in 90 degrees.
I'm doing some pan fried steaks in our new super French iron skillet. I'm thankful for a strong stove fan and AC.
I'll roast some asparagus in the toaster oven, and he'll have a slice of Texas garlic toast.

I just got back from a week-long reunion road trip, which happened to include a stop at Trader Joe's. So we nibbled on TJ goodies: smoked oysters, sesame sticks, marinated mushrooms, and Meyer lemon cookies.

Mmmm....sounds good, Dawg. I love all the above mentioned TJ's goodies. Especially the Meyer lemon cookies. :yum:

I made burgers on the charcoal grill. I had some freshly ground hamburg and drizzled some oil in it, and some fresh cracked black pepper, sea salt, grated cheddar, and some tobasco sauce. Then I formed them into large and flat patties -- and sprinkled some more salt/pepper on the outside. Grilled over natural wood charcoal for 30 minutes to really soak in the smoke flavor.

I toasted the buns on the grill too. I cheated a tad, though, and bought the "Hamburger Fixings" pack at Giant Eagle -- comes with pre-sliced juicy tomatoes, leafy lettuce, and red onions. So I didn't have to process any produce. Too bad there weren't any pickles in there. But we had some in the fridge. I probably could've bought a head of lettuce, a tomato, and a red onion for less than $2.99 (cost of the pack of hamburger fixings), and I would've had more leftovers. Though there are some leftovers from the pack of burger veggies.

Shrimp scampi over linguine.....

img_1473921_0_75ef8e456d3661d7e2afa5d9e6d925be.jpg

Salt & Pepper, darn that looks awesome! I wish my wife liked pasta. She's one of the 2 or 3 people in the world who doesn't like pasta. It's hard to come up with meals that she'll eat.

Haa.. SC doesn't grill, ever, so it would be me outside in 90 degrees.
I'm doing some pan fried steaks in our new super French iron skillet. I'm thankful for a strong stove fan and AC.
I'll roast some asparagus in the toaster oven, and he'll have a slice of Texas garlic toast.

Well, that was fun! I did the reverse sear method with these little bacon wrapped steaks in the toaster oven at 275 degrees till they were 120 with an instant read thermometer.It took about 40 minutes. I finished them in a screaming hot pan to perfection, and they were perfectly med. rare. I pre cooked the bacon strips a little at the start before wrapping them with picks.
Here's what they looked like when first going into the very hot skillet.

img_1473925_0_19eed68383f82ad298efe915e2c2f79e.jpg

Last edited:
I hope you took a photo of the "after" steak before you ate it, Kayelle.

As far as Himself going out to grill? Well, he got busy playing with woodworking stuff again and each time I asked when he could go grill it was "just a couple more minutes". Finally, I seasoned the chicken breast cutlets very generously with TJ's African Smoke Seasoning and did them on the Griddler. They were really good, but wintertime good. :LOL: Slowly, I'm using up our collection of veggies so that I can start fresh next grocery trip. And the cheese toast was yummy.

Attachments

• 2016-07-27 21.52.18.jpg
    2016-07-27 21.52.18.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 109
Salt & Pepper, darn that looks awesome! I wish my wife liked pasta. She's one of the 2 or 3 people in the world who doesn't like pasta. It's hard to come up with meals that she'll eat.
You could still make shrimp scampi. Serve them up with some rice and a veggie on the side - voila, no pasta! And if she doesn't like rice? You could always make a sub sandwich on a roll with lettuce. And if she does't like sandwiches? God love ya, jd, and good luck.

You could always use spaghetti squash as the "pasta" or use one of those spiral slicers to make summer squash, sweet potato or butternut squash "spaghetti". The butternut would go really well with a brown butter and fresh sage sauce.

We had leftover red lentil curry over jasmine rice. When I pulled the curry from the freezer, I also pulled out some homemade beef stock and made a vege beef soup/stew for another quick heat up meal.

salt and pepper... I love what you are having for dinner.
Your Shrimp Scampi over Linguine looks soooooo good!

For dinner we are having...

Roundy's 8 pc. Fried Chicken

Grandma Richter's Wilted Lettuce Salad

Baked Beans

Berry Bread for dessert

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom