Moussaka, potatoes or not??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
In the past ( back in my meat eating days) when I had Moussaka, I remember there being a layer of potatoes .

I recently searched Moussaka recipes, and most were coming up without potatoes, which leads me to my question:

Traditionally, does Moussaka have potatoes in it , yes, no or just depends on who is making it or the region it is being made in ?

If I do a search of Moussaka with potatoes, sure, I get a bunch of recipes, but the general search seams to lead me to potatoless recipes.

If anyone has any Moussaka recipes they would like to share ( potatoes or not) I'd be interested. Don't worry if its not vegetarian, I have my veg-substitues I can apply to the recipe.

thanks,

larry

I have never heard of potatoes in moussakka. I have a pretty good recipe; I'll type it up later. I haven't made it in quite a while because DH and I don't like eggplant much. However, I saw a variation in a Greek cookbook using zucchini that I want to try. It will have to wait till the fall, though :)

Larry, my girlfriend and I used to frequent a Greek restaurant in Malden. One day I asked what Moussaka was. It was explained to me as the Greek version of Eggplant Parm. Only with Greek seasonings, not Italian. Oh, that sounded good and it became my go to when nothing else appealed to me. I don't ever remember there being potatoes in it. But I do remember very clearly it was made with lamb and a béchamel sauce. They also had peppered throughout the layers, little pieces of Feta cheese. It did have Parm cheese on top and was a beautiful brown from the broiler. It was divine!

Now you have me hankering for it. I must find a Greek restaurant. :angel:

I have the mother load of eggplants this year, and there is only so much eggplant parm one can eat ( plus my wife is the designated eggplant fryer, and I think she has retired for the year) , so Im looking for other options, and Moussaka came to mind.

Moussaka is not just Greek. Turkey and the Balkan States also have local versions of moussaka,many of which include potatoes. Think of it like lasagna, you put in whatever you like.

Another good use for an excess of eggplant would be ratatouille.

Unfortunately, my eggplants, zucchini and peppers have not been cooperating nor coordinating with each other this year so Ive kinda had to tackle them individually, trying to buy as little extra ingredients from the store as I have to. That being said, if i have any extra, ratatouille is definitely on the list. Actually, Jacques Pepin has a recipe that Ive done in the past , which is basically ratatouille mixed in with pasta.

When I did make moussakka, I didn't like how it soaked up so much oil when I fried it, so I started broiling it - just brush slices with oil and broil till browned. I thought it worked much better.

And there's baba ghanoush.

I have the mother load of eggplants this year, and there is only so much eggplant parm one can eat ( plus my wife is the designated eggplant fryer, and I think she has retired for the year) , so Im looking for other options, and Moussaka came to mind.

My daughter and I have the same problem when frying eggplant. We eat it as fast as we can get it out of the pan and not burn our mouth. I always buy an extra eggplant because I know what will happen. I deeply resent not being able to eat all of it. :angel:

We like this one MOUSSAKA recipe | Epicurious.com , though I only use about 1/2 the cinnamon called for since I'm sensitive to it I guess as I always taste "too much" cinnamon in things when others don't. Also, if we have it, I'll use Mizithra cheese, which is one of his suggestions in his cookbook this was in (Taste), but it can be hard to find and is always pretty pricy when we do. Whole Foods has it sometimes. At least it freezes well.

Oh, also pull the skin off, makes it easier to eat.

Pasta alla Norma is another use for eggplant and it's already vegetarian.

Larry, my girlfriend and I used to frequent a Greek restaurant in Malden. One day I asked what Moussaka was. It was explained to me as the Greek version of Eggplant Parm. Only with Greek seasonings, not Italian. Oh, that sounded good and it became my go to when nothing else appealed to me. I don't ever remember there being potatoes in it. But I do remember very clearly it was made with lamb and a béchamel sauce. They also had peppered throughout the layers, little pieces of Feta cheese. It did have Parm cheese on top and was a beautiful brown from the broiler. It was divine!

Now you have me hankering for it. I must find a Greek restaurant. :angel:
According to my friend's Greek mother - no potatoes and she uses a mixture of egg and yoghourt with cheese instead of bechamel. I do too, since having hers. It makes a lighter topping.

This is straight off the menu from a local restaurant named It's Greek To Me. Pretty good food. Entrees : It's Greek To Me

"Vegetarian Mousaka $15.75

Slices of eggplant, zucchini and potatoes layered in a mixture of onions, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, parsley, celery and garlic. Topped with bechamel sauce and cheese baked."

--
Another thing I like to make once in a great while is Caponata. Diced or course chopped cooked eggplant and Italian herbs and olives and what ever veggies. Serve on baguette slices for an appie Or roast or grill eggplant slices and pile on all the other ingredients on top of the eggplant and serve as a side dish or main dish.

Last edited:
Caponata is great, its on my list of things to cook on Wednesday.

Looking at that menu, the " Non" vegetarian version has potatoes too.

Mousaka
Layers of eggplant and potatoes with seasoned ground beef mixture topped with a bechamel sauce and baked

I just remember , way back in the day when I ate meat, the Moussaka I had definitely had potatoes. I don't remember if it was homemade or in a restaurant.

Caponata is great, its on my list of things to cook on Wednesday.

Looking at that menu, the " Non" vegetarian version has potatoes too.

Mousaka
Layers of eggplant and potatoes with seasoned ground beef mixture topped with a bechamel sauce and baked

I just remember , way back in the day when I ate meat, the Moussaka I had definitely had potatoes. I don't remember if it was homemade or in a restaurant.

They have a stuffed eggplant dish too, although the menu is not very descriptive.

Your post reminded me the other day to check the calendars of 2 Greek orthodox churches for their greek festivals, music, traditional dancing + goodies. Good thing I looked too, as one is next weekend.

Last edited:
Oh, also pull the skin off, makes it easier to eat.

Pasta alla Norma is another use for eggplant and it's already vegetarian.

Everyone in my family peels eggplant. I usually order Eggplant Parm when eating out. But first I ask the waitress if the chef peels it. If the answer is "No", I order something else. :angel:

In the past ( back in my meat eating days) when I had Moussaka, I remember there being a layer of potatoes...
Sorry I don't have a recipe to share, larry, but one of the Greek restaurants in our neck of the woods does use potatoes in their version. You are welcome to all of my shares of Moussaka, though, as I really did not enjoy it the one time I tried. Since that one time, I've skimmed right past it on any menu. I guess I'm more of a lasagna kind of girl. *shrugs*

I once knew a Greek lady who told me that Moussaka could be round or rectangular, with potatoes or without according to where you lived in Greece, so I reckon that what defines what a Moussaka is is: ground beef or lamb made into a sauce with tomatoes, onions herbs and maybe a little nutmeg, etc, layered with fairly thin pieces of aubergine cut lengthways and topped with béchamel then baked in the oven. More or less.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom