Monday - Dinner and a Movie? 8-22-16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silversage

Head Chef
I marinated my kalbi (or galbi) overnight, and it's been int the sous vide all day. I'm about to take it out of the swimming pool and toss it on a hot grill. No pans - no oven!

What are y'all doing?

Meatballs with spaghetti sauce. Minus the spaghetti. Or maybe not, depends on how I feel about spaghetti tonight.

Last edited:
Made a meatloaf. I had to substitute minced tomatoes for salsa. I added some chili power, cayenne and cilantro. It wasn't what it should have been but it was still good.

I gave my carpenters each a big hunk. They though that it was to die for, but they had been working all day in the heat of the fish room. When you've been doing physical labor for 7 1/2 hrs anything good enough tasted to die for.

I marinated my kalbi (or galbi)

Was'sat?

Had the other half of last nights supper for my breakfast at 8:30 am
Had a Chipolte Chicken Wrap at Tim Horton's for lunch at 1:45
Had the last 1/4 bottle of a Pinot Gris at 5 pm and have just now started working on a bottle of Chardonnay.

I often live in reverse.

Stuffed some Hot Hatch Chile's w/ beef,rice tomato,onion & cheese.

img_1477103_0_ba2c23cc2ddd6d77d20dd0c0493e9d25.jpg

I marinated my kalbi (or galbi) overnight, and it's been int the sous vide all day. I'm about to take it out of the swimming pool and toss it on a hot grill. No pans - no oven!

What are y'all doing?

Oh my gravy all over my two scoops rice (that's OMG! in my world ;))
Photos, please?
You're killin' me, I MISS Kalibi more than I could say!!!

We finished up the corn chowder from Saturday night. I tossed in a few shrimp and topped it with the "optional" cheese suggested with the recipe. Between that and sitting for two days, it was much richer, both in taste and thickness. Himself preferred it that way, I thought it was good either way.

There was only one small bowl apiece, so I fancied up our salads tonight. It was from a recipe on MyRecipes, Quinoa, Smoked Trout and Beets salad. I saw smoked trout at Market Basket a couple months ago, picked it up, and have been taking my time making this. It was our first experience with quinoa (it has no flavor...) and I'm a take-it-or-leave-it kind of gal with smoked fish. Plus, the dressing was made using horseradish. Surprise! We BOTH loved it! :yum: It's one of those once or twice a year dishes, but at least I know it will fly at our house again.

Attachments

• 2016-08-22 21.42.16.jpg
    2016-08-22 21.42.16.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 2016-08-22 22.04.54.jpg
    2016-08-22 22.04.54.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 140
I had some pork, apple, crappy whisky, onion and cream and that became stew with purple potatoes and pickles.

We finished up the corn chowder from Saturday night. I tossed in a few shrimp and topped it with the "optional" cheese suggested with the recipe. Between that and sitting for two days, it was much richer, both in taste and thickness. Himself preferred it that way, I thought it was good either way.

There was only one small bowl apiece, so I fancied up our salads tonight. It was from a recipe on MyRecipes, Quinoa, Smoked Trout and Beets salad. I saw smoked trout at Market Basket a couple months ago, picked it up, and have been taking my time making this. It was our first experience with quinoa (it has no flavor...) and I'm a take-it-or-leave-it kind of gal with smoked fish. Plus, the dressing was made using horseradish. Surprise! We BOTH loved it! :yum: It's one of those once or twice a year dishes, but at least I know it will fly at our house again.
That looks great, too!

I made chicken chile verde with peppers from the garden and served it over long-grain and wild rice from the freezer. Topped it with pumpkin seeds for a little crunch. Yummy.

Attachments

• 1471961764717.jpg
    1471961764717.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 118

Korean barbecue - Usually made from short ribs, cut flanken style (across the bones, not between them).

Sorry, K-Girl. I didn't make a full ban-chan; since there are only 2 of us, we couldn't eat it all. But I did serve it with white rice and steamed green beans, and ssamjang (recipe from Koreatown) for dipping everything.

Attachments

• IMG_1053.jpg
    IMG_1053.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 145
I'm late again to the dinner thread. :LOL:

Joey...I'll gladly have a few of those cheesy beefy stuffed chiles - looks great!

GG and Silversage....yummy looking dinners there. :yum:

CG, boy would I ever like to find some smoked trout at our grocery store - I've never seen it here. Your salad looks and sounds delish! I didn't know quinoa came frozen and precooked - I buy it in the box, pre-rinsed, and have it quite often. I find it has a mild nutty taste that I like, and like rice or barley, it just absorbs whatever flavor its blended with. I'll often make a cup or two and mix a couple of spoonfuls in with my morning scrambled eggs, throw some in some bean salads, etc., and feel like I'm getting that extra kick of protein. :yum:

Yesterdays dinner was leftover fish, chips, and coleslaw from lunch out. :)

Last edited:
Thanks, Cheryl! Actually, I didn't buy pre-cooked quinoa. I just cooked some up the night before from a bag I bought on sale at Market Basket, then popped it into the fridge. In fact, I cooked enough for a full salad recipe, but made only half as much since there are just the two of us. Now you have given me ideas on what to do with the extra that is still in the fridge. ;) I've hesitated trying quinoa because I've heard it can be bitter. Then I read somewhere else that you need to rinse it. A lot. So I rinsed, and rinsed, and stirred and rinsed some more. Not bitter, but nutty like you mentioned. And then I stirred in a bit of the horseradish dressing, as per the recipe. We figured that was so the quinoa actually HAD a flavor in the end. :LOL:

I've looked for smoked trout ever since I bought this first package a couple months ago. Haven't seen it since. It might have been a one-and-done. I suppose, though, that this recipe would work with a smoked salmon, too. Maybe even a little bit of highly seasoned grilled tuna. The beets really did make the salad. The croutons? Meh, not my thing but I put them on. Himself loved the entire thing, though. He's welcome to my croutons.

Yes, I've heard quinoa can be bitter too, but have not experienced that. I buy the pre-rinsed, but I still rinse it once anyway. :) I've been buying the tri-color when I can find it (red, black, and white), but they didn't have it last time so got the white.

There are so many ways to use it CG, Tyler is going to be here in a few minutes - otherwise I'd start looking up old quinoa threads here, add a few pics, and get some more ideas! The stuff is kinda spendy, huh? Runs about $7-$8 for a 12 oz box here, and it's rather high in carbs for those who are watching carb intake.

Attachments

• quinoa.jpg
    quinoa.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 155
I bought a whole bunch of quinoa when it was on sale. All colours. Because I had also bought a gazillion other things never noticed the individual pricing... Until I got home and went over the receipt. I scrapped my jaw off the floor when I realized over half the bill (which was around 60$ for Bulk Barn- that's high!) was for the quinoa. So much for being on sale!!

Then I read an "internet story" about how the locals in Peru (or where-ever) who harvest it no longer could afford it as their staple due to its sudden world wide popularity. I admit (shame shame) I never investigated it to see if really true or an internet myth.

At any rate - I certainly don't buy it anymore. Don't think the taste is unique enough to warrant the price - it originally started out very cheap until it became the "in" thing. I had originally bought some to try as the price was cheap, then all of a sudden we were flooded with recipes, so when I saw sale I said 'whoopiee' and that's when I ran out and bought a bunch.

I can get just as much protein, texture and flavour (is there any? nooo! not on its own!) from more common homegrown goodies.

I will admit I was a lucky one in that the first recipe I tried warned to rinse thoroughly due to the bitterness, so at least I didn't get caught with that.

Back
Top Bottom