Is this the KFC special secret recipe????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
KFC recipe revealed? Tribune shown family scrapbook with 11 herbs and spices - Chicago Tribune

The Nephew of the Colonel says it is this:

1. 2/3 teaspoon of salt

2. 1/2 teaspoon of thyme

3. 1.2 teaspoon of basil

4. 1/2 teaspoon of oregano

5. 1 teaspoon of celery salt

6. 1 teaspoon of black pepper

7. 1 teaspoon of dried mustard

8. 4 teaspoons of paprika

9. 2 teaspoons of garlic salt

10. 1 teaspoon of ground ginger

11. 3 teaspoons of white pepper

Mixed with 2 cups of flour

I read that article, and I believe they said those were all tablespoons, not teaspoons. They also said (and KFC confirmed) there is also MSG in the mix.

I saw a similar article today on Tasting Table about the original KFC seasoning that also mentioned MSG.

Last edited:
I never thought much of their fried chicken, but I live down here in rural Mississippi where you can get the best fried chicken if you know what service stations to buy it at. I've been known to drive 60 miles round trip to get fried chicken or gizzards when I feel the need. They make killer biscuits there, too.

The place is owned and run by African American's. They grew up knowing how to do it. They do a hell of a business.

In the end it is the "how" that is more important. Seasoning you can always adjust to your taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I'll let you guys in on a little secret. I've never, ever had fried chicken. Not at KFC; not anywhere.

Nothing against it, I'm just not much of a chicken eater I guess. I probably eat chicken no more than twice a year.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that, Steve. That makes me sad :( Fried is one of the best manifestations of chicken. You really should give good fried chicken a try. Not KFC ;)

I think that's perennial tanned 60's actor George Hamilton as the new Colonel Sanders in KFC's latest TV ads. He doesn't look the part at all.

Last edited:
It probably wouldn't taste much like authentic KFC chicken unless you pressure cook it in oil like they do. Sounds a bit scary.

Last edited:
I got my first job at KFC washing dishes on my 14th birthday.

Worked there making food for 2 years and the ginger and basil sound wrong. And I'm pretty sure there's. mSG in it.

Ratios seem off too. Teaspoons maybe not enough. Tablespoons maybe too much...

It probably wouldn't taste much like authentic KFC chicken unless you pressure cook it in oil like they do. Sounds a bit scary.

yeah you need that special machine they use to cook the chicken.

This recipe has one of the key ingredients missing,
I have cooked with the 11 herbs and spices and the
spice that is missing in this recipe is sage.I don't think
that the real recipe has any paprika either.

Josie

Back
Top Bottom