Canned Mole Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Has anyone ever tried this? I just tried the Dona Maria brand and am not very impressed. Are there any decent prepared mole sauces out there I can buy?

I'm not ready to undertake the task of trying to make my own yet. :)

Thanks!

htc said:
Has anyone ever tried this? I just tried the Dona Maria brand and am not very impressed. Are there any decent prepared mole sauces out there I can buy?

I'm not ready to undertake the task of trying to make my own yet. :)

Thanks!

I've never done canned in my life but the jarred dona maria and jarred La costena is not bad.

Dona maria: spicier, better peppers
La costena: more "sweet" spices (cove, cinnamon) and chocolate, more interesting

Wether I use one, the other or both I always "doctor it up" as my mother would say. In other words I add extra bitter chocolate, some tortilla ash, chicken stock, a touch of cinamon and pretty much a little bit of "fresh" everything else that would go into mole, making it taste a lot more homemade. Btw do you need to cut the canned stuff into 4 like the jar stuff? Because that also make's a difference, since you need to dilute the jar stuff I use chicken stock.

Last edited:
I like using the jarred mole, but my dad swears by the canned stuff, and I have to admit, it's not too shabby. I think you might just try adding some special touches of your own, to liven it up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom