Lots of Onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin86

Senior Cook
Hey guys I got a big bag of small onions so I'm wondering if you guys have any yummy fun onion dishes? Sides, etc. We like onions so I want to make the most of them but they are smaller.

How about creamed onions or onions au gratin!

Peel and simmer the little onions until tender. Make a thick cram sauce using some of the onion cooking liquid and milk or heavy cream, don't forget to add a good pinch of nutmeg to the white sauce, add the boiled onions. At this point you can serve them as creamed onions or pour the mixture into a buttered casserole and top with whatever grated cheese you happen to have on hand and bake in a hot oven until it is brown and bubbly.

French onion soup
Onion and tomato pie
Fried onion rings
pickled onions

Also, you can chop and freeze some for future recipes.
Onions will last a long time stored in a cool dark place with air circulation.

Bolas's onion goop. Basically, fill a CP with sliced onions and some butter, cook on low until goopy. Then you can make onion soup, put on burgers, etc. It freezes well.

Bolas's onion goop. Basically, fill a CP with sliced onions and some butter, cook on low until goopy. Then you can make onion soup, put on burgers, etc. It freezes well.

I agree Dawg. Here's a tip though.....plug in the crock pot outside if you can.
I wanted them golden brown, and 12 or so hours of smelling onions in the house was sickening. :wacko:
Another tip: slice the onions thin on a mandolin.

Last edited:
This is my recipe for French onion soup.
from here: Joy's Garlic
French Onion Soup

Why French Onion Soup? Garlic, Onions, Leeks, Shallots, and Elephant Garlic (not a true garlic, more a leek) all are delicious together in French Onion Soup.

I like to chop instead of slice onions, it makes it much easier to maneuver onions on a spoon when I'm eating it. The members of the allium family are onions, shallots, leeks, elephant garlic and garlic. They are similar flavors that marry well. These are all toxic to cats and dogs, so no sharing with our furry loved ones! How much is 5 lbs of alliums? Imagine onions the size of a softball, that is just a little less than a pound, so to begin, 5 or 6 softball sized onions. (or an equivalent amount of smaller onions)

Combine 5 lbs of chopped onions, leeks, shallots, and elephant garlic sautéed in 8 oz of butter or olive oil. Cook these down until they begin to brown (caramelize).

Add 2 quarts of broth. (chicken, vegetable, beef), 1 cup of dry red wine, 1 teaspoon thyme, 2 bay leaves, 4 large chopped cloves of garlic, 2 cups of tomatoes (puree, stewed, fresh, sauce), and 2 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce.

Cook this down, reducing the volume until you have a velvetty textured soup. Salt and pepper to taste. No need to thicken it. Put it in small oven safe dishes, top with crusty toasted bread cubes or slices, add 1/2 cup swiss cheese to the top each and bake until the cheese is bubbly. And enjoy!

Awesome idea. But nutmeg doesn't sit with my wife. What would be a good substitute? I usually go garlic and jalapeño but that's more spicy than comfort food. But I'll schedule this in for sure.

Awesome idea. But nutmeg doesn't sit with my wife. What would be a good substitute? I usually go garlic and jalapeño but that's more spicy than comfort food. But I'll schedule this in for sure.

You could swap out the nutmeg for a big pinch of cayenne pepper or just leave it out.

Just skip the nutmeg. That recipe will be fine without it.

I don't have a specific onion recipe, but I use onions in about half of the foods I make, so a bag of them rarely lasts very long around here. I love beef stew and usually use at least 3 onions, quartered. I use a lot of onion in my corned beef and cabbage too. I dice them small and sauté with chopped jalapeño (core and ribs removed) in my scrambled eggs (just finished some at breakfast today). I use a thick slice raw on a hamburger, and a generous pile of caramelized onion on a patty melt.

There are a lot of dishes that love onions, so be creative and use them liberally.

I am like RP I use Onion in every thing. Two suggestions.

As I am on a low carb meal plan - I take an onion and peel it core out the root end and add S&P and as much butter that will fit into the hole. Wrap really tight with thick Aluminum foil and back at 400 until soft.

2- cut a bunch of them up, put a liner in your crock pot, put the crock pot in the garage and cook on low all day. Wala carmelized onions. bag up and freeze in useable amounts. Not kidding about putting it in the garage.

Hal

Every month I buy a 4 pound bag of yellow onions. But I always seem to run out a few days before shopping day again. Except when Vidalia onions become available. Then I buy about four huge ones. Use them up and get four more the next month. I slice them all up at the same time. Then when I need some I grab a handful and dice them if I want diced for dishes like tuna or egg salad.

I have known a lot of folks who will toss a half onion, rather than wrap it. Not me. I double wrap it securely and place in the bottom crisper drawer away from the other food.

I have known a lot of folks who will toss a half onion, rather than wrap it. Not me. I double wrap it securely and place in the bottom crisper drawer away from the other food.

Addie,

Try using a glass jar with a tight fitting lid, I use an old straight sided salsa jar as my onion keeper. A large peeled onion stays fresh and crisp for several days as I whittle away on it and no smells escape from the jar.

Addie,

Try using a glass jar with a tight fitting lid, I use an old straight sided salsa jar as my onion keeper. A large peeled onion stays fresh and crisp for several days as I whittle away on it and no smells escape from the jar.

Thanks I never thought of doing that. I have some old canning jars that I can use. That way I can keep it on the top shelf right in plain sight.

Back
Top Bottom