Thanksgiving Desserts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
It's not too early to start.

What are you all planning for desserts for the big day?

SO will be making several different cookies-pizzelles, snowball cookies, pecan balls, among others. Some of these will also be frozen for Christmas. She also makes the Libby's famous pumpkin roll.

I like to make pies. I usually make some combination of two of apple, pumpkin, pecan, lemon meringue (SIL's favorite).

I may also have to make my grandson's favorite chocolate cake with ganache topping. Vanilla ice cream is a must with this cake and some of the pies.

What are your plans?

I'm going to attempt the internet-famous 4-layer pumpkin crunch cake. Wish me luck! I'll need it. I'm not much of a baker, but that's not stopping me! :LOL:

That's it for now. I keep seeing those delicious pumpkin rolls all over Pinterest, I might try it pre-Thanksgiving dessert.

Hubs might get an itch to do his famous apple or pecan pie (completely from scratch). We'll see....

Pecan (puh con) pie.:ermm: There are those that choose the pecan (pee can) camp!:ohmy::wacko: If the limes are available, a nice key lime or key lime cheese pie!:yum: Don't even go there if you aren't using real key limes or key lime juice.:glare::mrgreen:

I am not baking but I been invited again to my american friends Thanksgiving.. dessert is always Betty crocker chocolate cake with rich and creamy chocolate frosting from a tin....

I am pondering to say no or take a cake with me.

Since I canned 41 quarts of apple pie filling, I'll be making a couple of those.:mrgreen:

Pecan pie is my favorite. DH says he doesn't like them. Every time I make something he says he doesn't like, I make a convert out of him. Haven't decided if I will make one this year.

I am not baking but I been invited again to my american friends Thanksgiving.. dessert is always Betty crocker chocolate cake with rich and creamy chocolate frosting from a tin....

I am pondering to say no or take a cake with me.

Say no to the cake, or no to the invitation? I can't imagine declining a holiday invitation because I don't like the dessert they're serving.

I will be dreaming about all of the desserts mentioned above and also dreaming about a big slice of mincemeat pie with a slice of aged cheddar cheese on the side.

I'll be making a low carb no crust pumpkin pie with whipped cream or a low carb version of apple crisp with low carb vanilla ice cream. These two desserts make me feel like I'm still in the game! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

A pumpkin cheesecake with a gingersnap crust. I will make that. And having walked Pirate through the making of an apple pie, I will let him make that. Both will head to my daughter's home for the dinner.

Since I am diabetic and Pirate is presently watching his diet, the custom of taking one slice out of any dessert for Pirate, before it heads to my daughter's home will be missing this year. For the first time I will arrive with two whole desserts.

If they still have some small pumpkins Thursday when I go shopping, I will pick up a few and make pumpkin cookies also. I use the standard recipe, but I do replace some of the flour with finely ground hazel nuts.

We make this in Hawaii(and I make this recipe here on the Mainland),
and I've never seen anyone do it here

pumpkin-crunch_dsc3052_1.jpg
[photo courtesy of Foodland Hawaii, I couldn't find one of my own]

Pumpkin Crunch Recipe Recipe | Foodland

This is really good and different.

GG: most things are canned at this party, if the turkey could be canned it would. We will see how we do, since the Scots has also invited us at the same time.

GG: most things are canned at this party, if the turkey could be canned it would. We will see how we do, since the Scots has also invited us at the same time.

I was getting that impression :) I had Thanksgiving dinner with my aunt and her family one year, when one of our exchange students was with us. The turkey was roasted on Tuesday and reheated (read: dry), the stuffing was from a box, the gravy was from a packet and the desserts were store-bought pies my cousin brought. The only fresh food were the broccoli-cauliflour gratin I brought and the mashed potatoes another cousin brought. But we had a great time visiting and laughing with my family and our exchange student got to see what an American Thanksgiving is like (we went that year primarily so she could experience it with a large group).

Then we went home and I made the entire dinner again on Saturday because Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and I wanted to have homemade food - and leftovers :LOL:

The reason for the holiday is to celebrate the harvest season and appreciate the bounty. The food is not the primary consideration in some households, and that's fine.

Back
Top Bottom