Albanian Ravani

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyAlbanianFood

Assistant Cook
The Albanian Ravani (also known as Revani) is similar to the English sponge cake but denser in texture due to the Yogurt. I can eat Ravani all day long and is often eaten as a cold pudding and cold in the morning. Most cakes, sweets and biscuits are like this in Albania, each with two ways of serving.

Traditionally Ravani is cut into diamonds to serve, but I love using slices to form shapes and using them as center pieces on the dinner table.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Albanian Ravani (also known as Revani) is similar to the English sponge cake but denser in texture due to the Yogurt. I can eat Ravani all day long and is often eaten as a cold pudding and cold in the morning. Most cakes, sweets and biscuits are like this in Albania, each with two ways of serving.

Traditionally Ravani is cut into diamonds to serve, but I love using slices to form shapes and using them as center pieces on the dinner table.

Sounds interesting. Can you share a recipe?

Sounds interesting. Can you share a recipe?

Of course, would love to:

Ingredients:
2 Eggs
440g Sugar
600g Yogurt
1 Tsp Baking Soda
150g Flour
Olive Oil

Method
In a mixing bowl add the eggs, sugar, yogurt and soda together until a smooth mixture is formed - poor the ingredients into the bowl one at a time with eggs and sugar first. Then add the yogurt and soda onto the yogurt. The soda uses the yogurt to activate therefore by being on the yogurt first, i find that this ensures the rising process for the Ravani begins.

Add two handfuls of flour and mix, continue to add flour until the mixture has thicken (when dripping some mixture onto of itself it should about 3 seconds to soak back in).

Using a large baking tray about 2 inches deep, grease it with the olive oil and pour the mixture in - bang the tray down a couple of times to ensure the mixture in flat.

Place the Ravani into a cold oven, then turn the oven on to 180 degrees and cook for 40 minutes, or until golden brown - the firmness you are looking for should feel like an arm muscle.

Turn the oven off, leaving the cake inside and door open for 20 minutes.

Remove from the oven and cut into diamonds, squares or slices and place onto a serving plate.

Optional: Once cooled and cut, boil some sugar and water to form a sugar water and then pour it over the cake. Leave for two hours before serving as a pudding.

Ravani-New.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom