What's for Sunday dinner 11/20/2016?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
The plan is for us to have grilled chicken and veges. We'll also grill some hot dogs for later on in the week.

Craig's planning on starting some tasso today. It needs to cure for at least 4 or 5 days before smoking. We'll also make up some andouille.

I have a big thick ribeye defrosting. This afternoon I'll reverse sear it to medium rare and serve it with mashed potatoes and broccoli. I think I'm going to use my charcoal chimney to sear the steak after slow roasting it.

I Briefly thought about going shopping today. Then the 2nd cup coffee kicked in. We will go shopping (again) tomorrow for thanksgiving stuff, and it is better to try to make a little space in my frig.

Tonight's/ this afternoon's dinner will be warmed up spaghetti and 1 meatball and for lunch probably a bowl of soup.

I need to do something with some apples too, maybe apple crisp.

Andy, your searing method works great using a charcoal chimney.

Last edited:
Here it's 16.10hrs, so we've had lunch. I did rabbit cutlets from the saddle. Lucas the dog went crazy as I was doing the prep - they're fiddly to do, butchering, breaded and all that but both OH and I love them. We had them for the first time when we went to Fuerteventura (Canary Islands). The rabbit was top quality. Lucas thought all his Christmases had come at once - obviously, his share had no bones in, and I part - boned the ones we had - they end up as just one mouthful each, but very yummy, still on the chop bone such as it is. Served with a small portion of cheese fondue with a drizzle of honey, like they did them there, and some small fries with a scattering of cumin, black pepper and lemon. It's an unusual dish, by no means to the taste of many, but it's typical of Fuerteventura, and we enjoy it.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Daughter didnt sleep last night and then got up early, which means parental zombies...

So I forced daughter to help with dinner, we are having falukorv again, this time chopped in bits and cooked with pasta sauce and served with pasta.

I was going to do Vareniki but I cant think let alone do something that complicated. It is enough that I baked rolls today and manage to do a double batch.

Karen suggested I look at the Chinese/Asian market for pork liver and they actually had it. Boudin will be another sausage being made next weekend.:yum:

I'm doing the 5 lb. beer butt chicken in the oven tonight, not sure of the sides.

Cake Poet, on another thread you said you purchased a 2.5 lb chicken. I've never seen or heard of a chicken that small in a grocery. I doubt a can of beer would fit inside of one. :chicken:

Kayelle, raw whole chicken is most often between 2- 3 pounds, bigger is rare, even as frozen. And yes small beer can can go up it back side, I have tried.

"What's for Sunday dinner 11/20/2016"

I'm going to roast a 5# turkey breast.
Microwaved frozen peas.
Boxed mashed taters.
Canned whole berry cranberry sauce. (I like the stuff.) :rolleyes:
Jarred turkey gravy.

All items were here except the boxed taters and jarred gravy.
While at the grocery store buying taters I saw both items on sale. Plus I had a digital $.50 off coupon for the taters. Both items cost a total of $3.00 so I said what the heck.
That's what feeling lazy as I am today will make you do. ;)

This will be my personal Thanksgiving Dinner.
The one where I can be alone without all the hu-bub and be truly thankfull of all I have in this world. :angel:

Not to mention all the wonderfull turkey sammies for lunch this week. :yum:

Well I guess I not really going to be alone.
Lucy Lucy.jpg

& Ethel Ethel c.jpg will share it with me and they are two of the things I'm most thankfull for. :mrgreen:

I made seven portions of bratwurst, sauerkraut and potatoes for my FIL's freezer yesterday and held on to three brats. So I'll roast those, heat up some more sauerkraut and make twice-baked potatoes.

I'll also make a big batch of seasoned, buttered green beans - some for tonight and some to freeze in single-serving portions for him. He's getting better at cooking for himself but forgets about vegetables, so I'm trying to make it easy for him.

Pretty kitties, Zagut.

Leftover lasagna tonight. Along with jello poke cake. I really need to find something green too.

Zagut, enjoy your turkey dinner. I love Lucy and Ethel - their eyes, their colouring and their names!

Why thank you so very much.

The 3 of us will enjoy dinner and life as best we can.

I'm just thankful that Ethel and Lucy let me live in their house.
Otherwise I'd out on the streets without there blessing. ;)

And I love that you "Love Lucy". :D
One of my biggest joys is that when I open the door coming home after work is I can shout, "Lucy I'm home." :LOL:

I have a big thick ribeye defrosting. This afternoon I'll reverse sear it to medium rare and serve it with mashed potatoes and broccoli. I think I'm going to use my charcoal chimney to sear the steak after slow roasting it.

Reverse seared ribeye-before and after.

Attachments

• IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1247.jpg
    IMG_1247.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 113
Why thank you so very much.

The 3 of us will enjoy dinner and life as best we can.

I'm just thankful that Ethel and Lucy let me live in their house.
Otherwise I'd out on the streets without there blessing. ;)

And I love that you "Love Lucy". :D
One of my biggest joys is that when I open the door coming home after work is I can shout, "Lucy I'm home." :LOL:

If you look in the "Last thing that made you smile" thread you will see one of my joys, my little Monkey Cat, checking out the neighbourhood from one of her favourite perches.

I am glad you got the "pun". :)

Kayelle, raw whole chicken is most often between 2- 3 pounds, bigger is rare, even as frozen. And yes small beer can can go up it back side, I have tried.

Chickens used to be that small in the US. They were called broilers because you would broil them in the oven instead of frying them.

I have an envelope of mesquite flavored spice mix and tonight I'm going to low-slow cook some strips of beef with that and then put them in some flour tortillas I got from Trader Joe's. The TJ tortillas are much thinner than the ones I get from the grocery store and after eating one last night, I think they taste much better. The great thing about dong the beef like this is my whole room smells like an outdoor Texas BBQ. Delicious.

I'm also going to make some refried beans and have those as well.

Nice job on the steak, Andy. Everybody else's dinner sounds great, also!
I had a heck of a weekend at work so it's spoil myself tonight. I have a rack of local lamb, with white beans, brussel sprouts with garlic and pancetta, with a nice bottle of Brunello...

Back
Top Bottom