Trying to create solutions to cooking problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why not, we have thread with all kind off cooking tricks and advices, etc.

Is dirty filter above the stove considered a problem? If yes, I hate cleaning mine. I wish there was an easier way to deal with it.

Charlie, here's how I clean mine. I have two.

I lay the filters flat in the sink and use the spray to rinse them off with the hottest tap water to get some of the grease off. Then I put them in the bottom shelf of the dishwasher on the heavy duty cycle.

You could also get some heavy duty degreaser and spray the filters.

Last edited:
No, Chuck, that's the instructions for shampoo. :D

It's an innocent enough question, albeit vague and difficult to answer within an unspecified context, but why be so cynical?

Be creative.

Ok, so, solutions to problems. I have one.

What is the best small toaster oven that will heat up quickly, but also cleans up easily, and doesn't have features that I don't need that can break down.

It's an innocent enough question, albeit vague and difficult to answer within an unspecified context, but why be so cynical?

Because there are dozens of appliances made by dozens of manufacturers. Maybe I'm lacking in imagination, and I'm certainly no engineer, but I don't see how "The Cooker Man" could possibly be in a position to fix problems people have with the designs of dozens of appliances made by dozens of manufacturers.

This wouldn't be the first time someone has posted in the forum just to mess with people.

I'm just trying to identify problems that people face, so for instance, doors too noisey, too difficult to clean, controls not user friendly, hobs not holding pan's upright, these are just a few things I have identified, but I wanted to ask a larger group of people to see if there are any common themes or things which really bother people. So basically any problems people come across when using their cookers etc.

You know regular stuff, spray, scrub, repeat.

Ammonia cleans and cuts grease real quick. Charlie, I take it that this filter I in the hood and removable. I realize that cost comes into the equation. In my building, maintenance just tosses ours into the trash and gives us a new one. Certainly not a solution for you. Andy's solution sounds like the best so far. Into the dishwasher.

Last edited:
No, Chuck, that's the instructions for shampoo. :D

Be creative.

Ok, so, solutions to problems. I have one.

What is the best small toaster oven that will heat up quickly, but also cleans up easily, and doesn't have features that I don't need that can break down.

Past experience with several others that were very similar. I'll just leave it at that.

I use the dishwasher too to clean the metal filters. But, just a caveat, and I know it's obvious and also common sense, but not all filters for stove fans are just metal, some have carbon (or something else) in them. Those can't be put in the dishwasher. Just putting that out there because, as we've all seen, common sense can sometimes be in short supply.

Ammonia cleans and cuts grease real quick. Charlie, I take it that this filter I in the hood and removable. I realize that cost comes into the equation. In my building, maintenance just tosses ours into the trash and gives us a new one. Certainly not a solution for you. Andy's solution sounds like the best so far. Into the dishwasher.

I like the tossing solution. Problem is I can't find them. Home depot doesn't carry them. They recommended to call manufacturer. With my luck it is some odd ball hood with no name or any other details. No wonder company that build the house is out of business.

Past experience with several others that were very similar. I'll just leave it at that.

Fair enough. I guess my time away was good for me, trying to learn to not sweat the small stuff.

But you're probably right.

Last edited:
I like the tossing solution. Problem is I can't find them. Home depot doesn't carry them. They recommended to call manufacturer. With my luck it is some odd ball hood with no name or any other details. No wonder company that build the house is out of business.

Try EBay or Amazon, just check the reviews for the seller, especially on EBay. I get our fridge filters from a place off EBay and they are a HECK of a lot cheaper than HD or Lowes, which don't always have them in stock anyway. I get 3 for just over the price of 1 from the Big Box stores, same thing, manufacturer-made filters, though they do also have the after-market ones, which are even cheaper.

The name of the hood is probably on the back side against the wall if the name, serial/model # is not visible. We found that out when we took off the hood and replaced it with an over the stove microwave. Did you try leaning backward over the stove and looking at the front?

If all else fails, just take the filter out and measure it and use at least one of the dimensions in your search terms.

Why not, we have thread with all kind off cooking tricks and advices, etc.

Is dirty filter above the stove considered a problem? If yes, I hate cleaning mine. I wish there was an easier way to deal with it.

It is indeed and somethig I will look into. Thank you

Hello everyone

First of all, thank you for your replies, sorry it's taken a while to get back on here, busy getting ready for Christmas (aren't we all)

Unfortunately there is no exciting or juicy conspiracy here, although there is an agenda, but nothing underhand or for the purpose of selling anything.

Basically I am an inventor /designer / developer, I work in the kitchen appliances industry and I wanted to engage with the people who actually use these appliances, the main reason is that if I hear people's issues with their existing appliances, I can try to create solutions which can be implemented into new products, so that hopefully when you buy your next cooker etc, it won't just have pointless gimmicks, but actual innovations that make the end users experience a better 1.

Regards

TCM

Perhaps not agenda but student project? :rolleyes:

Could even be simple market research?

This here internet is the wave of the future. ;)

Since The Cooker Man was asking about problems with cooking appliances, cooker's, ovens etc. I'll answer with this.

I don't care about all the fancy stuff new products offer. Being able to access my stove from the internet holds no interest to me.
I also don't care how many functions it has or if it can tap-dance while it cooks.
What I want is a product that preforms the basic need I bought it for and will last for a long time and not crap out .00001 second past it's warranty date. (Sorta like things were made in the past.)

If you can offer me a product like that at a price I can afford I'll buy it.

Someone with an open mind, and you are bang on, it us pretty much market research, but cutting out the middle man and trying give people the opportunity to voice their problems to someone who can try to create solutions to them.

Thank you for your reply, and that is very good point you have made, thank you, it has been noted, I totally agree with you, both in my professional, and personal opinion.:chef:

Someone with an open mind, and you are bang on, it us pretty much market research, but cutting out the middle man and trying give people the opportunity to voice their problems to someone who can try to create solutions to them.

You would probably have had a better response if you had been a little more forthcoming in the beginning about your background and purpose. That's what the Member Introductions forum is for. As you can imagine, a forum full of cooking enthusiasts gets a fair number of posters who just want to sell us something or promote their blog or do other things that just take from the forum and don't actually interact. And interaction is the purpose here :)

"Keep an open mind - but not so open that your brain falls out."
~ Camille Cracchiollo

Thank you for your reply, and that is very good point you have made, thank you, it has been noted, I totally agree with you, both in my professional, and personal opinion.:chef:

Don't be so sure about the "Open Mind" ;)

I'm just an old fart who likes things simple and well made.
But I'm not one to think everything or one has nefarious purposes.

I wish you success in your endeavors and hope you seek quality and simplicity in what you make.

I think you'll find it's best in the long run.

You would probably have had a better response if you had been a little more forthcoming in the beginning about your background and purpose. That's what the Member Introductions forum is for. As you can imagine, a forum full of cooking enthusiasts gets a fair number of posters who just want to sell us something or promote their blog or do other things that just take from the forum and don't actually interact. And interaction is the purpose here :)

"Keep an open mind - but not so open that your brain falls out."
~ Camille Cracchiollo

Yes I suppose that makes sense now, I hadn't really thought about it that way, just thought I'd ask the question . Just trying to findo out the problems people have with their appliances, and thought this would be the best place to find people who use their kitchens more than the average person.
Thanks for your advice :)

Yes I suppose that makes sense now, I hadn't really thought about it that way, just thought I'd ask the question . Just trying to findo out the problems people have with their appliances, and thought this would be the best place to find people who use their kitchens more than the average person.
Thanks for your advice :)

Personally I use my outdoor equipment more than the average person. I apologize for being skeptical about your motives, but as GG said, we see our share of people trying to push their own agenda/product/website.:(

Personally I use my outdoor equipment more than the average person. I apologize for being skeptical about your motives, but as GG said, we see our share of people trying to push their own agenda/product/website.:(

No problem at all, I completely understand, unfortunately you need to be a little skeptical in this day and age, believe me I am, so I can't blame you for that! :cool:

Now you're just making me envious, we're lucky if we get 5 days a year that's nice enough weather to cook outside.

Back
Top Bottom