Uh oh frozen veggie oil...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Went to store and got perishables put away but accidentally left veg oil in trunk of car, where that night got down to 5 degrees (F).

Now it is an oil slush... So it looks like. Is it lost or can it still be used?. If not is there any cool science experiments that can be done with it?

Funny coincidence. I just bought some grapeseed oil that was on sale while I was picking up some Korean food for my work dinner, and I was wondering if I could leave it in the car tonight. I think temps should be in the 20s.

Thanks, Rock.

Funny coincidence. I just bought some grapeseed oil that was on sale while I was picking up some Korean food for my work dinner, and I was wondering if I could leave it in the car tonight. I think temps should be in the 20s.

Thanks, Rock.

I keep grape seed and flax seed oils in my fridge which is 38F. I have cooked foods with them and then froze the finished food with no problem. Not sure that helps.

It wasnt froze solid but resembled. A slush type matter, kind of like those certain cheap bottled waters..
Those freeze to a slush as well.. Dont know why neither.

Funny/ odd thing about this oil slush was as it returned to normal, the slush hung at the bottom, even as i turned and flipped it around it would always sink (as opposed to water where it would float.)

Dont know the science behind that neither

It just got below the temperature required to remain liquid. No big deal :) just like if bacon grease cools it solidifies, but melts again if it's heated. The oil will just return to its normal liquid state

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Back
Top Bottom