Super Bowl Eve Dinner - 2/4/2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Chicken tenders in a spicy pesto sauce, served over fresh angel hair, garden salad on the side.

What are you eating the day before National Wings, Nachos, and Chili Day?

I'm not sure. I was going to go out and do a little grocery shopping, but something tells me the stores will be a zoo and maybe I should go out tomorrow. If I do, tonight will be orange chicken and rice. And I'm thinking of making a baguette this afternoon.

I'm thinking fish tacos. Not sure what to have with them. Any suggestions?

Hm. When we have fish tacos at one of our favorite beach clubs in Cozumel, they're served with refried beans, some pico de gallo, and a lime wedge. Bit of cilantro. Sometimes some Mexican rice.

We're having hotdogs with kraut and accoutrements tonight. But now I want fish tacos.

Last edited:
Hm. When we have fish tacos at one of our favorite beach clubs in Cozumel, they're served with refried beans, some pico de gallo, and a lime wedge. Bit of cilantro. Sometimes some Mexican rice.

We're having hotdogs with kraut and accoutrements tonight. But now I want fish tacos.

?

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I'm actually looking for something with less starch and more veggies. I suppose I could chop up some onions and peppers and add them to Mexican rice.

?

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I'm actually looking for something with less starch and more veggies. I suppose I could chop up some onions and peppers and add them to Mexican rice.
And that reminds me of a recipe by Bobby Flay for Creamy Green Chile Rice. I think I'll make that and add some red and yellow peppers to it. Maybe drizzle it with some tomatillo salsa I canned last fall, since I'm using that on the tacos. Yeah, that's the ticket! Thanks for the inspiration! ✨
PicsArt_02-04-05.12.57.jpg

Last edited:
We tried some new recipes we saw on Create.

First up, mushies sauteed in butter, wasabi paste and soy sauce.

37240-albums1041-picture6855.jpg

Next up udon noddles in dashi with thin sliced, stir fried pork belly with chinese chives, green onion, and these tiny little asian red chili that are HOT! Frist time we ever tried dashi. I was a little hesitant about it after smelling the kombu/anchovy mix that overnighted in water in the fridge before getting heated up and the bonito flakes added. It smelled really fishy at first, but after removing all the parts and straining, man was it good. We really liked it.

37240-albums1041-picture6856.jpg

Lastly, tuna/avocado stack with ponzu sauce with more chinese chives and jalapeno garnish.
37240-albums1041-picture6854.jpg

recipes are at Seared Tuna Sashimi and Avocado | Menu | Dining with the Chef | Japan Broadcasting Corporation if anybody is interested.

Last edited:
GG, we make green rice by putting a bunch of cilantro, some chopped up poblano pepper (or green bell and jalapeno), onion and garlic in the blender with about half the liquid called for the rice, zapping it until nicely blended. I sautee the rice in some oil and cumin before adding the blender liquid plus remainder. It's pretty good and quick. S and P of course.

Last edited:
I have some foil wrapped meaty spare ribs in the oven on low and slow. They will be finished under the broiler, brushed with my own not too sweet sauce.
A version of Cheryl's black bean and corn salad will round it out, with some chopped fresh spinach and tri colored bell peppers to the mix.

Grilled Chicken Legs, turnip greens and broccoli.

Hey, you're in "Lou-sianna," isn't crawfish season upon us -- or coming very soon? I wonder what this year's crawfish will be like?

To get them live up here, I have to order them at least a week in advance.

As for dinner tonight, it's clean out the fridge night, which means leftovers. I went to the grocery store today, so cooking resumes tomorrow.

CD

Last edited:
I have some foil wrapped meaty spare ribs in the oven on low and slow. They will be finished under the broiler, brushed with my own not too sweet sauce.
A version of Cheryl's black bean and corn salad will round it out, with some chopped fresh spinach and tri colored bell peppers to the mix.

I'm happy there's enough leftovers for tomorrow!

img_1497917_0_dd84f48757f6eba6b71bee7f1b665c05.jpg

Delicious sounding meals this evening. Kay, Powerplant, and Medtran....your dinners look fabulous! :yum: Kay....I need to make that black bean and corn salad again very soon. Looks great. GG....I'd love some of that tomatillo salsa. YUM

I spent all afternoon making up a big batch of stuffed shells - a little over 50 of them - the filling was sweet Italian sausage links taken out of the casing, crumbled and fried, spinach, egg, onion, garlic, ricotta, mozzarella, and parm reggiano. Bottled Barilla marinara sauce to top :), and a little extra moz and parm on top of that. I divided it up in casserole dishes for 2 sweet neighbors who are always bringing me goodies, some for my freezer, and a little for me for this evening, plus a little left over for tomorrow.

So that's what was for dinner, plus a small side salad.
(file pic from last year)

Attachments

• stuffed shells.jpg
    stuffed shells.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Everything looks and sounds yummy! I made something we haven't had for a while, so we're good here. ;)

When I loaded up the oven this week, two items were russet potatoes. Tonight I split them, topped with bits of ham and lots of broccoli, added the last of our OH cheese curds and shaved mozzarella cheese. Nuked until everything is warm and the cheese is melted, and add a dollop of Daisy. Behold, smothered baked potato:

Attachments

• 2017-02-04 21.33.33.jpg
    2017-02-04 21.33.33.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 105
Back
Top Bottom