DNA test on Subway chicken - only half is chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
Subway disputes the DNA testing, but will "check with their supplier". Isn't that convenient. In other words, Subway probably knew their chicken was half soy, and now that they've been busted, they can conveniently blame it on their supplier. How clever you are Subway. What an escape plan!

Wendy's and McDonalds chicken is a more acceptable 86%+ chicken (water and some soy to make it more consistent in texture and moistness).

DNA Test Shows Subway’s Oven-Roasted Chicken Is Only 50 Percent Chicken « CBS Los Angeles

Last edited:
Ugh, I can't stand the place personally. There are way nicer mom and pop sub shops with better meat, veggies, bread, etc.. I miss Togo's (California, where I am from).

If this story is verified, it's pretty serious, even more so than Subway selling footlongs that weren't 12" long. Not as serious as their spokesman going to prison.

I only buy their Italian BMT occasionally. Not many years ago, they changed their bread for the worse. They made it softer and spongy so it squashes down to what looks like pita bread. I liked the older and slightly more chewy bread that held its shape, like authentic bread should be.

If this story is verified, it's pretty serious, even more so than Subway selling footlongs that weren't 12" long. Not as serious as their spokesman going to prison.

I only buy their Italian BMT occasionally. Not many years ago, they changed their bread for the worse. They made it softer and spongy so it squashes down to what looks like pita bread. I liked the older and slightly more chewy bread that held its shape, like authentic bread should be.

To avoid all issues concerning Subway, don't eat there.:rolleyes:

I tried Jersey Mikes Subs. Not impressed. I tried Submarina sub sandwiches, I was even more unimpressed. Subway leads the way with freshly baked bread on the premises, unlike other major submarine sandwich shops. I still buy their Italian BMT from time to time.

If the latest findings are true, this restaurant chain, who boasts the most franchise shops in the world, has some Public Relations scrambling to do.

Last edited:
You need to find a nice mom and pop sandwich shop or make your own.;)

You don't think flies hang around fast food joints?:rolleyes:

Not so many at Subway as sandwich shops at your corner local liquor store/deli/foodstampts/money order/piss smelling deli.
I admit tho, some of them make good sammies, for a corner liquor store/deli.

Last edited:
Not so many at Subway as sandwich shops at your corner local liquor store/deli/foodstampts/money order/piss smelling deli.
I admit tho, some of them make good sammies, for a corner liquor store/deli.

He wasn't talking about those kind of places. Neither one of us would eat at those kind of places. He was talking about an actual mom/pop deli/sammie shop. Don't you have those where you live? You know, the places that are only open for breakfast and lunch, maybe only lunch in some cases. We have quite a few. There's 1 he took me to for lunch 1 day when we were out running around that didn't look like much from outside, but was packed, and OMG that was the best corned beef sandwich I've ever had, piled high was hot moist corned beef, fresh bakery-made bread. It was a dive and the ambience was, well, probably from the 1970s, but no flies to be seen.

I think Subway is pretty disgusting unless you only eat their vegetable matter

Agreed! I've always thought their meats looked like plastic. The only thing I used to buy was their tuna until I saw the calorie count. It's like
3/4 mayo, 1/4 tuna.

Agreed! I've always thought their meats looked like plastic. The only thing I used to buy was their tuna until I saw the calorie count. It's like
3/4 mayo, 1/4 tuna.

I want to go buy a big submarine sandwich for dinner now.

"I'd like a Footlong Italian BMT on white. Sour Cream & Onion Chips".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom