Any Favorite Mushroom Barley Soup Recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry, I usually just wing it. Go easy on the barley, ask me how I know. Some finely chopped onion, maybe a bit of garlic. I like a drop of sherry or port in mine. A drop or two of worchestershire or soy sauce. I usually use beef or chicken broth, though I know you're vegetarian, so mushroom or veggie broth or boullion would work as well. Stir in half and half off the heat if you like. I'll admit, I often cheat and use Campbell's COM as a base.

Mushroom wild rice soup is nice too, great "chew" to it.

Im usually a ' wing it ' kinda guy myself.
Best mushroom barley I ever had ( or it may have been a cream of mushroom, or mushroom chowder ) was a few years back at the Mushroom Festival in Kennetts Square PA, the self proclaimed Mushroom capital of the world.

Love mushrooms. Dried, fresh, wild, canned. All edible mushrooms. Hen of the woods, found wild around here, is one of my favorites. Makes some righteous soup. I haven't found morels yet, but I won't stop looking.

We went to a mushroom farm in PA many years ago, I found it interesting.

I think any taste you like will be good. Play around with them. Just not too much barley!

Keep in mind, if you store the soup, the barley will continue to eat up the broth until you have a container of barley porridge. If I ever use barley in a soup again, I'll cook it separately and add a spoon of cooked barley to the soup bowls.

Keep in mind, if you store the soup, the barley will continue to eat up the broth until you have a container of barley porridge. If I ever use barley in a soup again, I'll cook it separately and add a spoon of cooked barley to the soup bowls.

Isn't that the truth! I do the same thing, Kay...I add the cooked barley to the bottom of the bowl and pour the soup over, and let it sit for a few.

It would be fun to do an experiment to see exactly how much liquid cooked barley would actually absorb after a few days. I have a guess it would get at least as big as grapes.:LOL:

Last edited:
One thing I learned is when I make barley separately, it seems that everybody like the soup better, everybody can add as much or as little barley right into their bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom