Mushroom Stock Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Every couple of weeks/ months I wind up with a bunch of mushrooms that get pushed to the back of the fridge and kinda dry out.

Today Im putting them to good use and making a mushroom stock.

My question is, is it beneficial to salt the stock initially, later on as it cooks, or not at all and just salt it when I use it in whatever recipe Ill use it in in the future?

( Will adding salt initially help draw out some of the flavors from the shrooms as it cooks , is I guess what Im asking).

What I heard in biology class was for max protien extraction of anything is...

salt lightly, and start any broth with cold water and gently bring to boil.

This alows all the protiens to soak out at each one's soluable temparature range.

I don't salt stock. Often when people make stock, there is a lot of reducing to concentrate flavors and that can result in a salty stock. Also, you don't always know ahead of time how the stock is going to be used. It's best to season the final dish than the ingredients.

When my stock is done and reduced to where I want it, I taste a spoonful with a light sprinkle of salt to determine if it's what I want. I salt it because the stock can taste flat with no salt.

You'll need to brown your mushrooms first, so use unsalted butter and no salt. Salt will keep them from browning. It's up to you if you use salt for your stock. Personally, I can't imagine getting it to taste right without it.

Norman Van Aken has a recipe for what he calls "Mushroom Muscle Power" that uses up leftover mushrooms, as well as dried mushrooms and various herbs. He uses it for various things, including a sauce for steaks or chicken (I know, not applicable for Larry), stirred into soups or other sauces. Apparently it keeps fairly well after the mushrooms are cooked. I can't find the recipe on the Internet, but I'll type it out if anybody is interested. It's in his New World Cuisine Cookbook.

Last edited:
Norman Van Aken has a recipe for what he calls "Mushroom Muscle Power" that uses up leftover mushrooms, as well as dried mushrooms and various herbs. He uses it for various things, including a sauce for steaks or chicken (I know, not applicable for Larry), stirred into soups or other sauces. Apparently it keeps fairly well after the mushrooms are cooked. I can't find the recipe on the Internet, but I'll type it out if anybody is interested. It's in his New World Cuisine Cookbook.

Im always interested in ways to use up left over mushrooms.

Norman Van Aken's Mushroom Muscle Power

He also mentions using it as a pizza topping, in a side dish of sauteed julienned green beans, shallots and almods, also as a topping for grilled salmon.

1/4 cup dried mixed mushrooms
6 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 shallots, thinly sliced
4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 generous cups sliced mixed fresh mushrooms
1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 tsp fresh sage, finely chopped
1 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
salt to taste
1 tsp black pepper

In a bowl, cover dried mushrooms with hot water and let soak for an hour. In a saucepan, heat butter and olive oil over med high heat until foaming. Add shallots and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes until softening. Add fresh mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes stirring. Drain liquid from dried mushrooms and add to pan. Chop the re-hydrated mushrooms finely and add to pan with herbs, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to med low and cook for 7-9 minutes until just a little bit of liquid remains. Let cool, transfer to a tightly covered storage container and refrigerate.

Yields about 1-3/4 cups

We have not made this, but everything we've made of his has been good. His recipes are like Paul Prudhomme's, laundry lists of ingredients and usually lots of steps, but they are always good.

This interests me, Med. Thanks for the recipe!

I often dehydrate my elderly mushrooms.

Mushroom stock is so versatile. I simply place the sliced mushrooms in cold water, bring to a simmer, and let simmer for twenty minutes. I then remove the mushrooms.

This mushrrom flavored broth can them be frozen and used altered as needed. One of the finest consume style soups I've had involves taking the mushroom broth, and adding soy sauce and ginger. No other flavors are required. Adjust the soy and ginger to taste. And of course you can add different flavors, such as beef, butter, chicken, tomato, etc.

You could also portion out the mushroom broth, alter, and freeze.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Lognwind of the North

It depends on what kind of stock you want. Just like with protein stocks if you brown the bones first you will end up with a darker, richer stock. Also the longer you reduce the stock the more concentrated and richer the flavor becomes. You can use a tiny bit of salt at the beginning to sweat your vegetables but typically you wait until the application of the stock to season.

Every couple of weeks/ months I wind up with a bunch of mushrooms that get pushed to the back of the fridge and kinda dry out.

Today Im putting them to good use and making a mushroom stock.

My question is, is it beneficial to salt the stock initially, later on as it cooks, or not at all and just salt it when I use it in whatever recipe Ill use it in in the future?

( Will adding salt initially help draw out some of the flavors from the shrooms as it cooks , is I guess what Im asking).
You need a dehydrator. When you rehydrate them, use the "juice" or throw that in ice cube trays. I have a bunch of "mushroom butts" in the freezer and was thinking I have to make a veggie stock...my Dad hates that I throw "butts" and other bits in the freezer--I can't stand to waste them.

Back
Top Bottom