ISO help/tips using roaster oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milford

Cook
Hi all. I'm looking into buying a Roaster Oven for crowd cooking.

Oster® 16-Quart Roaster Oven with Self-Basting Lid

How would recipes that bake in a regular oven, convert to a roaster? I'm looking at Tuna Casseroles, TaterTot Casseroles, Mac & Cheese, etc. Recipes that would normally bake in a 9 x 13 pan. I'm thinking, with a roaster, I can double or triple a normal recipe.

Last edited:
Hi all. I'm looking into buying a Roaster Oven for crowd cooking.

Oster® 16-Quart Roaster Oven with Self-Basting Lid

How would recipes that bake in a regular oven, convert to a roaster? I'm looking at Tuna Casseroles, TaterTot Casseroles, Mac & Cheese, etc. Recipes that would normally bake in a 9 x 13 pan. I'm thinking, with a roaster, I can double or triple a normal recipe.

You'll need to stir the food a couple of times if you plan on cooking directly in the cooking pan insert. I'd forget the TaterTot casserole for that reason and they also won't brown.
Is there a reason you chose the Oster Roaster oven? I've had a Nesco Roaster for over 20 years and it's never let me down.

I've had a nesco 18 quart roaster for years. Mostly for cooking a turkey when the oven is full.
I'm now using it for making cheese. Get the 18 quart size if you can, it realistically only holds 16 quarts. It heats from the sides, not the bottom, all the heating elements are on the sides of it. The inside middle temperature is often 10-20 degrees cooler than the sides and it takes a while to come up to full temperature. If I partially fill it with water at tap temperature it will take over an hour to bring it to a boil with the cover on and the temperature set at 450 degrees F. Using the cover is important if you are trying to heat something up quickly, and it's not quick but it is better than with the cover off.

You'll need to stir the food a couple of times if you plan on cooking directly in the cooking pan insert. I'd forget the TaterTot casserole for that reason and they also won't brown.
Is there a reason you chose the Oster Roaster oven? I've had a Nesco Roaster for over 20 years and it's never let me down.

I have used a 22Qt. Nesco years ago. Just looking for something smaller with a removeable insert.

I would not take Oster if they were giving it away for free. Have not had a good luck (to put it politely) with anything Oster. It's like the Black and Decker of the tools. Same junk. Just my opinion.

I would not take Oster if they were giving it away for free. Have not had a good luck (to put it politely) with anything Oster. It's like the Black and Decker of the tools. Same junk. Just my opinion.
Interesting. We received our Black & Decker food processor as a Christmas gift in 1989. Darn thing won't die so I can get a new one! [emoji38]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom