Buckled lids after pressure canning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jakey14424

Assistant Cook
I just processed 8 quarts of asparagus spears in the pressure canner. I have found that after the process had completed that some of my lids had some buckle points on the lid. I've tested the seal to make sure there was no signs of leakage and there wasnt. Is it OK as long as there are no visible signs of leakage or should I replace the lids and use my vaccum sealer with the jar attachment to reseal? I'm afraid if I process again that the asparagus will mush. Any help would be great...thanks!

Buckled lids have a high failure rate. I'd drain them and freeze.

Place the spears on a cookie sheet separately. Don't let them touch each other. Freeze them, then place in freezer bags. You might try using your sealer machine on a few and stop the suction before they are flattened to mush. If that isn't feasible, then just place enough frozen spears in a freezer bag and try to get as much air out as possible. Even use a straw if necessary.

NEVER trust a any jar with a buckled lid. The product in not completely sealed. You will be not be happy when you or any member becomes sick from botulism. If you live to tell about it.

Back
Top Bottom