Question about cinnamon in curry powder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neptune

Cook
I've found a few recipes for curry powder, and most of them call for cinnamon, but exactly what kind of cinnamon is typically used in authentic curry powder? Cassia, zeylanicum, or some other variety?

Thanks for any info.

Cassia bark is the one used , because the true cinnamon is expensive but used in some desserts.

I've found a few recipes for curry powder, and most of them call for cinnamon, but exactly what kind of cinnamon is typically used in authentic curry powder? Cassia, zeylanicum, or some other variety?

Thanks for any info.
Hi
The curry powder is actually a mixture of different powderd condiments- try to make it yourself rather than buying from superstore for good flavour- chilli./cumin/ coriander seed and turmeric powder in different proportion are basic ingradients but the proportion is flexible and varies in between regions-
Cinnamon stick can be used while frying onion...or freshly dry roasted ground cinnamon to garnish after the preparation is done so that the aromatic oil continue to flavour the curry. ...

Yes the person knows curry powder is a mixture, it just asked for which type of cinnamon is used in the mixture.

And the answer is cassia.

Whatever !! Authentic curry powder don't contain cinnamon -
It's just a variation of original recipe

I will tell that to Gupta and Dimple, one if born in Goa and one in Chennai, that their mothers recipes are wrong, some Indian curry blends do contain cinnamon powder, some dont, some even contain moss.

And British curries does too, yes some of the curries people love are British.

Glad you are so keen on curry...no one is right or wrong here...it's variable across India

Well half my family British, curry is sort of standard weekend food for us.

Im not sure the variety of cinnamon matters much

The proportion of cinnamon to the other spices will be small and the taste will change since its being combined with so many other aromatic spices

Yes...British curry was adopted and modified during Raj so that British could enjoy local food in India- this a great example of evolution of recipes over many years which linked closely to history

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, everyone, for contributing to this thread. It sounds like, as long as something is legal, you can use it in curry powder if you really want to. ;)

Last edited:
GotGarlic: the other side I of curry I know are from Indian women part of the Womanhood exchange program ( or what ever it called in English). That was actually first type of Curry I ate, then my husband came along with his British curries, even though his dad also make proper Indian curries sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom