Combi Microwave Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GilliAnne

Senior Cook
A few days ago, in another forum, which is US based, I think, I mentioned our combi microwave oven, which microwaves, oven cooks and broils. A couple of the ladies in the forum indicated that they had never heard of such an appliance and loved the idea of it. I was just wondering if this would be true of the United States in general? They're fairly common here, as are microwave/broiler combis. I love mine and wouldn't like to be without it.

Gillian

Not to be mistaken with your typical built-in double stacked, microwave-oven combo (microwave top, conventional oven bottom), we used to have a Thermador built-in conventional electric oven with metal interior and racks that also doubled as a microwave oven back in the 90's. It came with the house we bought. I always wondered how the microwave feature worked with all the metal components inside the oven.

Last edited:
I have one, too; it has a halogen light for the heat source for the convection oven function. I've never gotten into the habit of using the convection function because I'm too lazy to switch the glass tray inside for the metal one.

They are still somewhat uncommon in household use in the US, imo but are standard now in RVs (caravans).

I always figured that since almost every house has a standard oven that broils, most folks just get a simple microwave - it's cheaper. Maybe there is some other reason?

My parents have a convection/microwave oven with a broiler. They are pretty common... even in Texas.:LOL:

CD

My mother had one back in the 90's - cooked conventional, microwave, or both. For some items, using the combo setting was a faster way of getting the job done, yet it didn't have that over-cooked and under browned microwave issue.

Interesting that combis were available over the in the 90s. I think we just had microwave cookers then. Not sure how the microwave part works with the metal. I think you can microwave and oven cook at the same time with ours and possibly also microwave and grill. I haven't explored all its functions.

Our main oven is very inefficient and the broiler in it doesn't work at all, so I'm really glad of an efficient oven plus a broiler that works. The only thing is, it doesn't hold as big a tray for the things to broil on as would the broiler in the oven. Besides, it's always handy to have a separate broiler and oven, so that food can be broiled and oven cooked at the same time.

Interesting that combis were available over the in the 90s. I think we just had microwave cookers then.

I think we're talking about two different animals here. I think what you're referring to are microwaves with a browning feature. They look like standard, everyday, countertop microwave oven.

We had a full sized Thermador conventional wall oven with 3 standard metal racks and exposed heating elements from the late 70's. And it also microwaved. You had to select which mode you wanted to use, conventional or microwave.
Actually, I have not seen these types of oven anywhere except for the one that came built-in when we bought our house. That kind of tells me perhaps they had trouble with this design...?

Last edited:
Our main oven is very inefficient and the broiler in it doesn't work at all, so I'm really glad of an efficient oven plus a broiler that works. The only thing is, it doesn't hold as big a tray for the things to broil on as would the broiler in the oven. Besides, it's always handy to have a separate broiler and oven, so that food can be broiled and oven cooked at the same time.

Convection ovens are great. You get conventional results, even cooking, and they cook faster than conventional ovens.

CD

I think we're talking about two different animals here. I think what you're referring to are microwaves with a browning feature. They look like standard, everyday, countertop microwave oven.

We had a full sized Thermador conventional wall oven with 3 standard metal racks and exposed heating elements from the late 70's. And it also microwaved. You had to select which mode you wanted to use, conventional or microwave.
Actually, I have not seen these types of oven anywhere except for the one that came built-in when we bought our house. That kind of tells me perhaps they had trouble with this design...?
This is what I have. Ours is 10 years old.

http://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-specs/SCA1000HBB

Last edited:

I am not referring to a microwave with a browning feature. I remember those, designed to give food that browned look because people couldn't believe that their food was cooked properly unless it was brown.

Gillian

I am not referring to a microwave with a browning feature. I remember those, designed to give food that browned look because people couldn't believe that their food was cooked properly unless it was brown.

Gillian

Or it could have been to make them think it had the same flavor as something cooked conventionally.:ohmy::LOL:

Caseydog, I agree, convection ovens are definitely better. Generally I use the convention oven for things that only need a low heat and the convection oven for those requiring a high temperature.

GotGarlic, I love where it says on your oven, 'Clear Off' lol.

CraigC, I am just wondering, how many people use their microwave oven to cook from scratch? I only use mine very occasionally to do so and I don't think I've ever used it for baking.

Gillian

Back
Top Bottom