New Cornbread recipe. New problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milford

Cook
I found this recipe which is great. ...

https://www.thespruce.com/buttermilk-cornbread-cream-style-corn-3054209

High riser and it tastes great. Only problem, its too moist. Almost to the point of being mushy in the middle. I've tried reducing eggs from 3 to 2. No difference. I've increased baking time to 30 minutes and almost burned the bottom crust. Tried subbing 1/2 cup whole wheat flour for 1/2 cup of white flour. Better, but it doesn't grow as much.

I've noticed that a heavy crust forms on the top. Once that crust forms, I get the impression no steam can escape, so the cornbread is moist. No way does the cornbread "spring back". Crust too heavy.

Should I try a lower temp?

The recipe says it's "extra moist" because it uses creamed corn.

So I'd go back to a different recipe OR drain the liquid out of the corn, although this runs counter to the point of including it in the first place.

Last edited:
I don't think the crust prevents steam from escaping. Agree with jennyema that the corn liquid is the problem. I add fresh corn cut off the cob to my cornbread.

Thanks. I'll try 1/2 a can of creamed corn next time. Really like this recipe. Want to keep it 'til its perfect.

I don't think the crust prevents steam from escaping. Agree with jennyema that the corn liquid is the problem. I add fresh corn cut off the cob to my cornbread.

As to this...Ever try baking an apple pie without cutting slits in the top?

As to this...Ever try baking an apple pie without cutting slits in the top?

This is hardly comparable to your situation. You're comparing the top of a cornbread to a pie crust and a cake/bread to a fruit filling.

This is hardly comparable to your situation. You're comparing the top of a cornbread to a pie crust and a cake/bread to a fruit filling.
^^^ THIS. The crust forming on top of the cornbread as it cooks is different from a separate layer of pastry on top of a fruit filling.

We tried a recipe that called for the addition of creamed corn.
It seemed like to much, so we used half of the instructed cream corn.
They were very moist and better than the dry stuff I usually get around these parts.
Now I know why people mix cornbread with milk/buttermilk.
Its to dry to eat by itself or even with butter.

The recipe I use calls for 3 cups of the cornmeal and no flour, it always comes out great. Maybe just add a little more cornmeal until its good? I think I will try this one out and see how it compares. :)

I found this recipe which is great. ...

https://www.thespruce.com/buttermilk-cornbread-cream-style-corn-3054209

High riser and it tastes great. Only problem, its too moist. Almost to the point of being mushy in the middle. I've tried reducing eggs from 3 to 2. No difference. I've increased baking time to 30 minutes and almost burned the bottom crust. Tried subbing 1/2 cup whole wheat flour for 1/2 cup of white flour. Better, but it doesn't grow as much.

I've noticed that a heavy crust forms on the top. Once that crust forms, I get the impression no steam can escape, so the cornbread is moist. No way does the cornbread "spring back". Crust too heavy.

Should I try a lower temp?
(A guess only) What about putting a bowl of boiling water at the bottom of the oven when cooking the cornbread. I do it with ordinary bread stops the crust getting too thick too quickly

Too Much Liquid Ingredients:

I would use 3 cups of cornmeal ..

I would also reduce the amount of liquids:

1 / 4 cup or 1/ 8 Cup of buttermilk Instead of 1 / 2 cup ..

2 or 3 tablesp. of Drained Creamed Corn ( drain thoroughly ) ..

And I would also use room temperature butter and not melt in a skillet .. This is another liquid ..

And mix all in a food processor or by hand if you prefer ..

And you shall be able to judge the texture .. Yo can always add a Little more buttermilk or liquid from the creamed corn ..

Good luck ..

Back
Top Bottom