Orange Ginger Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whiskadoodle

Executive Chef
This is an orange chicken recipe I have used, more for the cooking technique than ingredient amounts. I think the original called for 8 garlic cloves, I changed it down to 3. Taste the sauce before adding to the chicken/ veggies. This recipe makes a lot too. I use less chicken and keep the sauce amount about the same and pour over rice.

1 1/4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed from 6-8 oranges
•2 teaspoon orange zest
•1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
•3 tablespoons ginger, freshly shredded
•3 cloves of garlic, minced
•2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
•2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce ( I have used a minced serrano or thai chili pepper, heat amounts can vary)
•1 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
•2 teaspoon brown sugar
•1/4 teaspoon black pepper
•4 medium (1 1/4 lbs) chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
•1 tablespoon corn starch
•1 tablespoon water
•1/4 cup scallions, green parts only, sliced
•2 tablespoon black or white sesame seeds, toasted

In a glass bowl, whisk orange juice, orange zest, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, 1-tablespoon olive oil, Sriracha sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, and black pepper.
Place the chicken in a ziplock bag and pour 1/3 of the mixture in the bag. Seal the bag and place it in the fridge. Let it marinade for an hour.
Heat 1-tablespoon olive oil on a large non-stick skillet over high heat. Remove chicken from the bag and discard the marinade.
Add chicken, in 2 batches, and cook each batch for 6-7 minutes. Place the cooked chicken on a clean plate. Set aside.
Pour the rest of the marinade into the now-empty skillet and cook until boiling over medium high heat, 2-3 minutes.
In the mean time, whisk together the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. It will be like a white paste. Whisk it into the marinade and let it boil for a minute.
Return chicken into the skillet and cook for 5 minutes or until chicken registers 160 F when a thermometer is inserted in some of the pieces of chicken.
Serve it immediately over rice. Sprinkle it with scallions and sesame seeds.

adapted from a blog "foxes love lemons" Jan 2014

Last edited:
@ Whisk-a-doodle,

Flavorful and lovely profile on this little recipe ..

Thanks for posting.
Have a lovely day.

Thank you for sharing, Whisk! This sounds delicious - I love the combination of orange, ginger, and soy sauce. I can see using this marinade recipe for grilled chicken thighs. :yum: Copied and saved!

Back
Top Bottom