Pros and cons of a wok you have to "season?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goosander

Assistant Cook
Just been thinking about getting a wok. I've never owned one and been browsing around and noticed quite a few of them say they need to be "seasoned." Not sure if its the same thing but at least one I looked at also had to be 'oiled' after every use.

Just wondering about the pros and cons of this type of wok as it seems like a bit of extra work...

goosander It depends on the material of your wok. I have had several. At the moment I have a cast iron one, so that one needs oiling for sure. I've also got a non-stick (has a flat bottom with high wide sides - sorta a 'mock' wok). If your looking at true metal asian ones, they do need to be oiled to prevent rust between uses.

Nowadays you often see "seasoning" recommended for shiny saute pans, although for the life of me I don't understand that. This was mentioned on another thread somewhere.

I cook on a gas stove and I love my cast iron wok. I feel I get a higher and hotter temp that is more consistent and even. Draw back is weight and waiting for heat to build up, but I love it. True metal ones heat quickly and are easier to turn and tilt, which you pretty much cannot do with the cast iron. But I have loved all my different woks.

Yes, a saute pan works but it is more fun to get into an Asian mode while creating your masterpiece. Opinions will vary from kitchen to kitchen!

Try watching some videos with cooks using woks, might help with your choice?

Wok

I use a carbon steel wok. For me one of the most versatile kitchen tools. i never bothered seasoning mine. Works just fine after a few uses.

In the end all seasoning amounts to is heating a small amount of polymerizing oil to a high temperature and letting it cool. Stir frying does just that.

A few years back I took a road trip involving truck camping for weeks. A wok and a french press were the only cookware I used. Got along just fine.

Carbon steel and cast iron woks should be seasoned. Both materials will rust if left unprotected.

My carbon steel wok was seasoned a very long time ago and is essentially non-stick. It just wipes out with a sponge and is ready to go again. Season it as you would a cast iron pan. Light coating of oil, 350ºF oven for an hour. Cool in oven. Do it again.

I love my carbon steel Wok.

I didn't do much to season it. Got self seasoned with use.

Check out The Wok Shop on line

I have a couple of woks (steel and aluminum) but a large frypan would suffice as our kitchen stove does not put out the heat required to use these woks as efficiently as they should.

Back
Top Bottom