Fry Pan Frustration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cab-design

Assistant Cook
I've got a high quality set of heavy gauge stainless steel cookware. Cleaning these
pots and pans is not fun. Spray oils are useful, but they don't prevent food from
sticking to traditional cookware.

Many years ago I tried a few PTFE (Teflon) coated fry pans. They were never used
with metal utensils, but the coating disintegrated anyway! Recently, I tried a couple
of moderately priced ceramic coated fry pans. The ceramic developed scratches and
chips after a few months.

I use 8 inch fry pans once or twice each day for making eggs. Woll Diamond seems
to be the only nonstick brand that "guarantees" it will never be damaged by metal
utensils. It's expensive, of course.

Besides Woll Diamond, are there any moderately priced nonstick fry pans that can
be used with metal utensils?

Cab... one of the biggest mistakes people make is the heat. Letting a pan get too hot for what they are cooking... totally a recipe for failure (pan wise).

Lo & Slo isn't just for ribs.

I buy inexpensive 3-packs of Teflon coated pans (8", 10" 12") for around $25. and they last me for 6-9 years. If you consider the price and how long they last, replacing them periodically makes sense.

If you manage the heat and apply a little extra care, you should be able to achieve similar results.

I buy inexpensive 3-packs of Teflon coated pans (8", 10" 12") for around $25. and they last me for 6-9 years. If you consider the price and how long they last, replacing them periodically makes sense.

If you manage the heat and apply a little extra care, you should be able to achieve similar results.

This

and use plastic spatulas

Use you real money for good nonstick pans

All non-stick pans become stick pans after a period of time. America's Test Kitchen published a review a short time ago (no longer available to non-members), and they gave the relatively inexpensive T-Fal pans their top rating, taking into account that all non-stick pans need to be replaced periodically. Here's some info from seriouseats:

The Best Nonstick Pans Are the Cheap Ones | Serious Eats

I've got a high quality set of heavy gauge stainless steel cookware. Cleaning these pots and pans is not fun. Spray oils are useful, but they don't prevent food from sticking to traditional cookware.

One bit of advice: never use spray oil on skillets of any kind. All it does is leave a brown, gunky residue on your pans that's a little like lacquer. Very difficult to clean.

If you are getting a lot of sticking with stainless, you're either not preheating it properly, or you're using too high of heat. I rarely have to heat mine any more than med-low to med for most foods. If I'm searing meat, I'll set it to med-high and afterwards deglaze the pan right away to get off anything that might be stuck on a little.

Bar Keeper's Friend works beautifully for cleaning SS pans.

Last edited:
Spray oil, metal utencils, excessive heat, all contribute to ruining the pans. I have set of Calphalon pans, but the Tramontina commercial brand that Costco sells and Sam's used to sell, work just as well for the third of the price. A bit more expensive and still cheaper than Brand names pans are the commercial pans you can buy at places like restaurant Depot or on line, they too hold really well.

I've got a high quality set of heavy gauge stainless steel cookware. Cleaning these
pots and pans is not fun. Spray oils are useful, but they don't prevent food from

Many years ago I tried a few PTFE (Teflon) coated fry pans. They were never used
with metal utensils, but the coating disintegrated anyway! Recently, I tried a couple
of moderately priced ceramic coated fry pans. The ceramic developed scratches and

I use 8 inch fry pans once or twice each day for making eggs. Woll Diamond seems
to be the only nonstick brand that "guarantees" it will never be damaged by metal

Besides Woll Diamond, are there any moderately priced nonstick fry pans that can

The question that begs asking is "Why do you feel that you need to use metal utensils?" I use plastic or wood for just about everything, and that includes when I'm cooking with pans made of stainless or enameled cast iron. I only have one metal spatula and one metal kitchen spoon. All the rest are plastic/nylon/silicone or wood.

My nonstick frying pans (8", 12" and 14") are inexpensive Bakers and Chefs from Amazon. Like Andy said, they last for a few years with proper care, and when they start to lose the nonstick quality, I don't have any problem with replacing them. I don't mean that it comes off, but through normal use, it does eventually become less slippery - foods will ultimately start to stick to it. That's when I start looking for replacements.

Have you tried Ceramic Coated Fry pan from Grrenpan, GreenLife, T-fal or Rachael Ray™. They are good enough for the quality and price. I'm using the Greenpan Rio 12-piece Ceramic Non-Stick Cookware Set from last 6 months and still looks new.

I have a 10" Scanpan I bought about 12 years ago. I use it for eggs and crepes usually or sautéing vegetables. Looks as good as when I brought it home. A little pricey but worth it.

IMG_2491.jpg

I have an inexpensive small frying pan that is coated. It coast me the grand sum of $5.00 when I am grocery shopping. After about six months, I toss it and get another one. Sometimes it will last longer. But when I see the scrambled eggs starting to stick, it is time to toss it. I only use it for eggs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom