What is your "house" bread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Panera sourdough

Very good bread! I buy it for BLT's when I want something different. I really love their asiago cheese bread, I can't buy it very often because I eat it plain and too much of it lol. Love making croutons with both kinds.

I actually baked there last summer for a few months on the overnight shift just to try something different. My back didn't like it at all but I learned a lot and got lots of free baked goods. :P

For a long time I made my bread, but I've gotten lazy. Now I just buy store bread because all I use it for is to make tuna melts. If I want to eat bread, I'll make a French baguette and have that with butter, but I don't do that very often anymore. Oh, and maybe French toast once in a blue moon.

Shrek eats any bread, usually whole grain white. I only eat rye bread and that is rare. I must have rye toast with my sunny-side up eggs.

That is my go to toast when we go out for breakfast.:yum: When we make Cuban sandwiches or have a Cuban dinner, its Pan Cubano all the way. Well, except for Midea Noches.

Last edited:
Don't have one go to bread, it depends on the time I have and, the meal I'm serving bread with, as well as any special needs of my guests. I make my own if I have time, if not, I buy whatever is needed.

We eat less and less bread as time goes on..

I have been picking up TJ's Sliced French Brioche the past couple of months..
Other than a good sourdough or to make an old fashioned pb&j, this bread serves most all our needs..

Great for grilled most anything, french toast and just toast with butter and jam...

Ross

Very good bread! I buy it for BLT's when I want something different.

I love Boudin's sourdough even more than I like Panera's, but the cost of having it shipped from San Francisco is cost prohibitive. 6 loaves cost $29.99, but second day air shipping is $17.95, resulting in a per loaf cost of $7.99, and they are only 1 pound loaves. Panera cost me less than 5 bucks a loaf, plus gas, and it is baked that morning.

I do bring several loaves back with me when I visit San Francisco and freeze it.

We have an incredible bakery a few metres from our apartment in Barcelona, and we pick up a French style Baguette or a rustic Galician bread called a "Barra" which is slightly twisted at each end and is whole meal or whole wheat or a Chapata freshly baked and hot, when we are both home and not travelling ..

When we are not working, we like to go to the Central Market called La Mercat de La Boqueria and pick up a couple of "olive breads " ..

Last edited:
We have an incredible bakery a few metres from our apartment in Barcelona, and we pick up a French style Baguette or a rustic Galician bread called a "Barra" which is slightly twisted at each end and is whole meal or whole wheat or a Chapata freshly baked and hot ..

When we are not working, we like to go to the Central Market called La Mercat de La Boqueria and pick up a couple of "olive breads " ..

I'm actually drooling just thinking about the fantastic Baguettes in Barcelona. Nothing in SA comes close. Miss the food most :(

I use a granary loaf for my daily. Sasko low GI . South African brand I'm sure no one here will know. My family like dark bread. Either granary, pumpernickel or rye.

I have problems with fiber so I cant have rye, which is my big sorrow, I love a good mortal combat loaf, dense Swedish rye bread that can be used as weapon because the weight.

So here I mostly make Farmers loaf or Swiss farmers loaf or Greek farmers loaf, which are all just white wheat bread. For Christmas I make Wort bread, which contain rye but just a little. IF I get store bought bread is French bread or Toast bread of Tunnbröd ( flattbread).

Oh and from the Arabic baker we get pita and seamy bread, it divine.

Last edited:
I keep a package of these Arnold Sandwich Thins in the freezer, approx. 15 net carbs each. I toast them or wrap them in a paper towel and microwave them for 15 seconds. A package of six lasts a couple of weeks. I use them mainly for a cheeseburger with all the trimming or for a toasted cheese sandwich and a bowl of soup.

arnold-sandwich-thins.jpg

Last edited:
The closest thing we have to a house bread is Thomas' English Muffins. We always have those in the fridge. For sandwich bread, I like to switch it up, and get whichever strikes my fancy at the time. I like Pepperidge Farm and also the bakery breads at Publix. But I make my own focaccia, pita, and soda bread. I also make my own sweet breads; I love cinnamon raisin!

For every day, I like Pane di Altamura, a bread from Puglia. If I'm doing a middle eastern dish, I make flat bread, for Greek kebabs I make pitta bread. I make loaves when I need them, and so the list goes on, because in Italy most of the breads are all Italian and it's difficult to find other types of bread here.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I keep a package of these Arnold Sandwich Thins in the freezer, approx. 15 net carbs each. I toast them or wrap them in a paper towel and microwave them for 15 seconds. A package of six lasts a couple of weeks. I use them mainly for a cheeseburger with all the trimming or for a toasted cheese sandwich and a bowl of soup.

arnold-sandwich-thins.jpg
I use these too. I also have a steady supply of Joseph's flatbread, it's not too bad either but hard to find

I use different kinds but am partial to sourdough and Italian. I am diabetic too so cant eat much.

I, too am diabetic, so I have reduced my bread consumption, but do you have any idea how hard it is to explain to my doctor, "I am Sicilian. We eat bread with macaroni!"

I go for Panera sourdough because it is impossible to find really good Italian bread in California. You know the kind with the thick hard crust that cuts into your gums when you bite into it?

Last edited:
I make a muffin using half flax meal and half almond flour. Then the usual quick bread cast of characters. Gratifying and filling.

I don't want any white flour in my bread, so that limits what bread we buy. I also find the stuff that doesn't have a bunch of additives tastes better. I get a whole grain wheat loaf and a whole grain with sunflower seeds loaf from a company called Arhoma. I get those delivered with my weekly produce basket. We get whole grain breads of various types from the health food store, when one of us actually gets to the health food store. I find that all of those breads (the ones without all the additives and conditioners) are very good tasting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom