Over All Pork Knowledge: Share Yours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
Pork is the meat i know least about. I know which spices, herbs, marinades etc i like with my beef and chicken, but i don't know a **** thing about pork.... Which herbs and seasonings/ marinades traditionally go well with pork?

Some flavors that I like are mustard, maple, apples, peaches, whiskey, mushrooms, honey

Mustard would be my favorite with pork

Last edited:
Mylegsbig said:
Pork is the meat i know least about. I know which spices,

Depends on which cut. Do a search for pork cuts. You'll probably get a page that will have pictures of beef cuts as well. Since it is a animal that has legs and ribs and whatever, you'll have similar cuts as beef (or other hooved animal). You'll have shoulder, butt, tenderloin, ribs, stomach. What are you looking for? Something lean or something that cooks out long time?

Pork is really good. But be careful with the lean cuts. It only takes a few minutes to go from nice to "jerky" consistency when overcooked.

sounds great keep them coming!!! Yes i have noticed alot of people add sweet stuff like apples to pork... to me that just sounds not so tasty!

whiskey and mushrooms mmmmmmmmmmmmm

combined maybe? How do you impliment the whiskey in the pork cooking?

eric said:
Depends on which cut. Do a search for pork cuts. You'll probably get a page that will have pictures of beef cuts as well. Since it is a animal that has legs and ribs and whatever, you'll have similar cuts as beef (or other hooved animal). You'll have shoulder, butt, tenderloin, ribs, stomach. What are you looking for? Something lean or something that cooks out long time?

Pork is really good. But be careful with the lean cuts. It only takes a few minutes to go from nice to "jerky" consistency when overcooked.

this is a good question. Im talking about for Pork Chops, and for another cut of pork. Pork Tenderloin i think its called. They look like little filet mignons but made of pork

I love blue cheese with pork tenderloin. Also a beschumel (sp?) sauce.

I do a tenderloin stuffed with spinach, goat cheese, and sun dried tomatoes.
There are a lot of good recipes under the search section. Just type in pork tenderloin

Mylegsbig said:
. Pork Tenderloin i think its called. They look like little filet mignons but made of pork

There is a Pork Loin which is BIG. Like the size of a beef tenderloin you would get at costco (wait, I get my pork tenderloin there too) and you have the Pork Tenderloin which are the tips of the bigger loin. Tenderloins are small and Pork Loin, you can cut into disks and have "filet mignon" type thing.

With this cut, you have to treat it like any other protein, don't overcook.

abjcooking said:
I love blue cheese with pork tenderloin. Also a beschumel (sp?) sauce.

I do a tenderloin stuffed with spinach, goat cheese, and sun dried tomatoes.
There are a lot of good recipes under the search section. Just type in pork tenderloin

that stuffed tenderloin sounds amazing. what is your recipe for it?

This is a side question friend, im not looking for recipes for pork. More just getting some general information, tips, and favorite seasonings and marinades that compliment it's flavor. Thanks for your feedback!

Do ribs slow and with low heat.....250 degrees for at least 3 hours. Baste with favorite BBQ sauce.

Bangbang said:
Do ribs slow and with low heat.....250 degrees for at least 3 hours. Baste with favorite BBQ sauce.

can babybacks still come out delicious in just the oven alone? Or is the grill a necessity...

I can't think of anything that doesn't go well with pork, and we have used quite a bit.

Apples go very well with pork. Mustard, vinegar are pretyy standard as well.

We do a sausage stuff pork loin that is good. I'll post the picture later, if I can find it.

What is the typical method to cook a stuffed pork Tenderloin?

Also, where is the incision typically cut?

They may come out delicious out of the oven, but cooking on the grill or smoker will be much much better.

Rainee said:
They may come out delicious out of the oven, but cooking on the grill or smoker will be much much better.

sucks..i'm in an apt until i get my house next spring... ( getting a huge pay day ) I have fantasties about how awesome my kitchen is going to be..hugggge kitchen with an indoor grill type thing, huge pit and gas grill in the back.... big island with a massive cutting board... oh boy do apartment kitchens suck....

Depends on the stuffing. We use a kielbasa sausage, so we cut a slit right in the center and slide the sausage through to the other end.

Here is a picture of a turkey stuffed loin.

Stuffloin3.jpg

Mylegsbig said:
What is the typical method to cook a stuffed pork Tenderloin?

Also, where is the incision typically cut?

When I teach at the school, I like to have my students think a little bit and answer why they do something. Makes them learn a bit more than just reading recipes. Anyone can read a recipe (my 9yr old can) but you need to understand why things are done a certain way. That will propell your cooking techinque ahead of other people.

Question: Why is pork always served (or served a lot) with Pinapples? The answer will be the answer on why you always see it cooked with similar items.

Stuffing a tenderloin, if you haven't done it before, can be pretty hard to explain in words. But basically, cut on both ends, and shove a sharpening steel through it. Wiggle it around to make it bigger. Put your stuffing (make sure it is cooked and cooled) in a piping bag. Shove it in one end. Squeeze the heck out of it. Then do what my mom taught me is called a over/under stich? I think that is what it called in sewing. Stich it with cooking twine.

Don't just stick in the oven. Get a nice carmelization on the stove with it first, then transfer to a pan or tray, and put in oven. Cook to about 125 degrees.

Cooking a Pork Loin is covered in the our Basic Cooking series. I don't teach just how to cook it but the science of: Protein cooking, tying with twine, carmelization, cooking to different temperature, and testing for doneess, and creating a sauce from the pan. Loin is perfect for teaching the basics of protein cooking.

Mylegsbig said:
can babybacks still come out delicious in just the oven alone? Or is the grill a necessity...

They are great in the oven. Don't fo;;ow those recipes in the basic cookbooks. THEY ARE WRONG:excl: This is how I do mine.
I use my broiler pan because the ribs can drain and won't sit in the grease. Or you can just use shallow baking pan. I lightly sprinle the ribs with lawry's seasoned salt .....then rub the ribs with a generous amount of yellow mustard. Cook in oven at 250 for two hours...then baste with your favorite BBQ sauce...cook one hour more. Thats it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom