Make ahead cheese sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Izabella

Assistant Cook
Hi, just came upon this site. Hope to find some useful hints and recipes. Make ahead cheese is definitely possible just make sure you cool it down completely before putting it in the fridge then reheat very gently and stir.

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to make ahead? It takes practically no time to make and there's no chance of it breaking if made fresh.

Just because I had to do other stuff and didn't have time to stand and make it. It turned out absolutely fine.

Cheese sauce as in American Cheese for macaroni and/or to pour over cauliflower?

or....?

and Welcome to DC Izabella !

Just because I had to do other stuff and didn't have time to stand and make it. It turned out absolutely fine.

Welcome!

If I am cooking alone (as usual) for a group, anything I can make in advance is great -- especially things that require a lot of attention when cooking, like cheese sauces and roux.

I have made roux for gumbo in advance, and as long as I warm it up slowly when I go to cook my gumbo, it works fine.

CD

Cold roux works as well. I do it all the time.
Make the roux, then into the fridge. Then when I need some I take whats needed (by the spoonful) and add it to the pot cold. No issues so far.

During the holidays, I make a couple cups of roux and use it for gravy or anything that could use some thickening.
I usually make it with the drippings (fat only) from the turkey roast.

With all due and sincerely meant respect, I simply can't see the advantages of a make-ahead roux. I wonder if, when it's gone cold, it's going to come out the same or thicker. Please enlighten me, I'm always ready to learn something new!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

With all due and sincerely meant respect, I simply can't see the advantages of a make-ahead roux. I wonder if, when it's gone cold, it's going to come out the same or thicker. Please enlighten me, I'm always ready to learn something new!
Restaurant cooks do this routinely. It saves time.

Last edited:
I came across a cheese sauce recipe, two similar ones, that can be refrigerated and then warmed up, not made with roux. I tried them both and they both worked very well. So should you want to make some cheese sauce gluten free, this is a way to do that.

2 tsps of citric acid
2 and 1/2 tsps of baking soda
1/2 cup of water
3/4 cup of milk
Mix together (it will fizz) and heat in a saucepan on the stove.
Add 8 oz of cheese (I used cheddar and colby), whisking it in until smooth.
Really nice for nacho sauce.

and the other

2 tsps of sodium citrate
1/2 cup of water
3/4 cup of milk
Mix together and heat in a saucepan on the stove
Add 8-12 oz of cheese (I used cheddar, jarlsberg, and parmesan), whisking it in until smooth.
Season it and it made excellent mac & cheese.

Original material for recipe can be found here: Take Modernist Cuisine's Nacho Cheese Sauce For A Spin - Food Republic

Back
Top Bottom