Pressure canning fruits and vegetables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgdsolution

Assistant Cook
I am planning an excursion and am trying to limit the amount of supplies I will need. I see that people are canning meats with their pressure canners with very little preparation of the meat, sometimes just raw packed. I was thinking instead of pickling I would just pressure can my fruits and vegetables in just water?? I was hoping someone can tell me if their is a downside or not. I tried pressure canning them with just air in the can and some I put o2 absorber packages but the process turned a lot of the stuff to mush and liquid?? Im thinking with water filling the jar that would stop some of that from happening. Worst case I can bring vinegar and sugar and salt but Im hoping to get good news that water will work just fine. If anyone is sure Id appreciate your input. thanks:chef:

Do you have a copy of Ball's Blue Book? If not I would suggest very strongly you go to your library and get it. Or you can purchase it on line.

The only problem I have had with pressure canning fruit is sometimes my peaches shrink. I ended up with half a jar lol. And my pears turned pink. It turns out I was over processing.

Quarts of peaches and pears are processed at 5 lbs for 10 minutes.
We set up an assembly line. My wife peels and slices the fruit. Places them in a large bowl of water with a couple splashes of lemon juice.
I prep the jars and make the syrup. If I remember right I use 5 cups water and 4 cups sugar. Get it hot and dissolve the sugar. Does not need to boil. Just disolve. You don't want it too hot because you will be putting it in cool jars. I will put it this way. You don't want it any hotter than coffee.
Then I cold pack the jars with the fruit. I then use a soup ladle to put in the syrup.
Snug the lids and put in the canner.
I put 2 quarts of water in the canner.
Put the burner on high. I usually put it just a tick under high. When you hear the jingle turn it down to medium for 10 minutes. Then remove from heat. Depending on your stove you may have to have it a littler higher than medium.
Let cool naturally. DO NOT put under col water. DO NOT release pressure.
Once the pressure is off I will unlock the lid and set it on there loose.
Then I put a towel on the counter. Set the jars on the towl and cover with another towel so they don't cool too fast.
Pretty soon you will hear the lids popping.
The 2 sweetest sounds in canning is the jingle of the weight and the popping of the lids.

I don't do vegetables. They dont last long enough around here to can.

Last edited:
I can squash, green beans and tomatoes. I call all of them raw. For non acidic items I add salt or you can use lemon juice to help lower the pH. I just found a can of green beans from 2013. they tasted just like they did when I canned them. I put the veggie in the can, add about 1 tsp. salt/quart if its not tomatoes, put about a cup of water in the bottom of the jar, and process at 5 psi for about 20 mins. I remove the pressure canner from the heat and let it cool over night. Works great every time.

To have safe results, use the Ball Blue Book. You are gambling with your life when you wing it. You can do it your way for years, because odds of botulism are slim, but if you 'hit the jackpot' with botulism, you are dead.

What is this excursion you're going on and how long will you be on it?

If you're physically carrying your supplies, I don't think bringing more weight in the form of jars and liquid is a good idea. Most back country hikers take dried foods like jerky, fruits, granola or GORP, nuts, crackers, etc., instead of canned goods.

To have safe results, use the Ball Blue Book. You are gambling with your life when you wing it. You can do it your way for years, because odds of botulism are slim, but if you 'hit the jackpot' with botulism, you are dead.

What this ^ wise contributor said! Listen to her.

I use this plus the book that came with the pressure canner.

Here is a good discussion of reputable tested recipes for home canning. I use university extension websites, and national and federal food safety websites. Reputable sources for home canning information - Healthy Canning

In the discussion, issues are made as to some mistakes and it appears none of the sources is perfect. They are pretty good though. Lots of places to find good safe recipes for the process of canning and pressure canning.

Back
Top Bottom