Bacon Onion Jam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have this recipe in my file but haven't made it yet. It looks like I got it here but sadly didn't not the originator. My apologies.

Bacon Jam

Whether you call it Bacon Jam, Bacon Onion Relish, or Devil's Delight, this sweet, salty, bacon-y spread is outstandingly good. Crisp salty bacon is simmered for hours with onions, maple syrup, brown sugar, and a couple of secret ingredients to create a soft, spreadable jam that's divine on toast or crostini, fresh vegetables, pita bread, new potatoes... the list goes on and on!

680g bacon
283g peeled and thinly sliced onions
3 cloves garlic
57g cider vinegar
106g dark brown sugar
85g maple syrup
85g boiled cider
170g strong brewed coffee
2 dried bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste

1 1/2 pounds bacon
2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup boiled cider
3/4 cup strong brewed coffee
2 dried bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste

Slice the bacon into 1" slices and cook in a large skillet until well browned. Drain the fat and reserve the bacon.
Place the cooked bacon and all other ingredients into a 2 quart or larger crock pot. Cover and cook over high heat for 3 to 4 hours.
Remove the cooked jam from the crock pot, fish out the bay leaves, and carefully transfer to a food processor or blender. Pulse until the consistency is to your liking, a soft spreadable jam. You can leave the bacon in larger bits or pulse until very small, your choice.
If you find the jam too liquid for your taste, transfer to a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the liquid has evaporated and the jam is thick and syrupy. Adjust the seasonings and serve warm.
Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Warm in the microwave before serving.

Yield: 2 cups jam.

To make boiled cider, reduce to 15% to 16% volume. 2 C cider=2½ fl oz ¼ C+

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom